Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

WIN Modems in older machines

Status
Not open for further replies.

armtech

Vendor
Sep 4, 2002
AU
I have recently installed 2 Lucent Wind Modems one in a pentium I and the other in a pentium 2. They installed OK and task manager reported they were connected to com3. The diagnostics run OK but when trying to connect the computers reported NO DIAL TONE. I know these cards are OK as I tried them in a new machine to make sure. So, is there some trick to installing in older machines?

It just occurred to me that your WinModems may require an MMX capability to function. I don't know that for certain, but because of the WAV drivers common to so many WinModems, it may be an issue.

pansophic

Thanks for the suggestions but a new driver from Lucent dated 1.21.02 has solved the probvlem in both machines

I was going to comment that I have an old 486 AMD 133 with Win98 and my USR Voice Winmodem works perfectly(ISA). Glad you got it fixed. "A little knowledge is a dangerous thing....." [idea]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back