Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win Messenger over Airlink Wireless Router

Status
Not open for further replies.

duane123

Technical User
Jan 1, 2004
Help - I can only make text messages through Win Messenger when going through an Airlink Model AR315W wireless router. I have tried everything and cannot figure out how to establish video, audio, and file transfer capability through the router. I bypass the router with a direct link to cable modem and this pc works just find on Win Messenger with all of the above capabilities. All pcs are running current version of Win XP home SP2.

What is wrong? What needs to be opened? I even tried opening TCP/UDP ports 1 - 65xxx with no success. I do not wish to introduce yet another application on my system by installing MSN Messenger, I have used Win Messenger on many other pcs but cannot get it to work over Airlink.

Have you verifyed the ports are open in the windows firewall?

As indicated in original thread, one of my tests were to open all ports (TCP/IP and UDP) in the complete range with no luck either. Do I need to do something with the "IMCP"?

Yes you said that you opened all the ports on the router but did you also check the built in windows firewall?

As per my analysis, it seems that there is nothing to configure at WinXP since you have tried to run MSN Messenger while bypassing the Wireless router, it works fine, so check configurations of your wireless router, if any ACL's are enabled or if it allows normal Port 80 traffic to pass through it or if it has any built in firewall enabled.

Regards,
Tayyab

Can you connect through a wired-ethernet port on the wireless router? If so, does the it behave like the wireless (which would indicate the Router), or like the other wired test (which may indicate a configuration on the PC which is different between the two cards or a configuration difference on the Router between the Wired and Wireless ports.)?

Also, have you checked the Router Manufaturer's web site?

Good Luck!

Seumas

The router would not work when I disabled the wireless link card and ran an ethernet cable (from LAN card) to a wired port on the router. The only solution seems to be to bypass the router. There seems to be no blockage of any IP ports/addresses under access control, and the firewall has only two settings - "Enable DoS firewall - threshold setting with a selction for either >2Mbps (selected), 1-2Mbps, and <1Mbps; and optional boxes for enabling 1) Respond to ICMP which is not set, 2) allow IPsec (set), 3) allow PPTP (set), and 4)allow L2TP (set).

yes, the Airlink AR315W wireless router has the advanced feature of Virtual Servers (they say sometimes called Port Forwarding). BUT don't I have to select one of the three PCs on the LAN to be the virtual server, and must it be "on" all the time?

IF you port fowarding what you want to do is..
fiqure what ports instant messanger uses. (you should be able to see this in the windows firewall settings)

Tell your router to foward that port to the pc IP running MSN.

IE. My router has port fowarding running so that people can browse my website. The router has a setting to foward all port 80 traffic to my PC Ip of 192.168.x.x

GL

boy I wish I could find what ports are to be used. A month ago I went down this road by looking at the "Internet Gateway" under the Network Connections screen in Win XP I discovered that everytime I would open a connection on my PC the ports were different and so I came to the conclusion I would have to open all 65,000 ports!! My daughter's PC, which is having the messenger problem, does not have a "Internet Gateway" icon and I cannot figure out how to get it installed - have tried everything advised in Win XP help and assistance but it will not show up (do not know how it got deleted to start with??) But even with the gateway, I am not sure how Windows messenger assigns the ports for audio, video, and file transfer. I have tried reading the MS Website help on this topic, but quickly get overwhelmed with technical jibberish.

duane123 - I killed that "Internet Gateway" by blocking uPnP (Universal Plug-n-Play) in the Windows Firewall.

I have also heard that it seems to be created when you run the Home Networking Wizard.

Thanks so much for informing me of the url to "Messenger ports"

I will work on understanding that and see if I can make Win Messenger work on this one only stubborn machine (which is running the same version of XP that the other 4 PCs I am familiar with)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back