Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win ME Hangs on Connect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hab

Technical User
Jan 20, 2001
GB
We have a problem with Windows ME constantly locking. Problem exists on an AMD Duron 800 and a PIII.

Every time any application tries to open an internet connection ME hangs. Ctrl-Alt-Del lets us shut down the offending app. sometimes - otherwise it's power down. Example - starting Outlook Express when not connected - instant lock, MP7 - sudden lock etc etc.

If we start a connection first, then open OLXP etc, no problem.
Some standard desktop apps are running such as Webshots (with connection disabled).

Ideas much appreciated.

Cheers, Hab.

Go to the Windows site. There is a download for hanging with AOL, try this. It cured mine.
Also, just windows update is a good start.

Spread the word about the AOL hang, everyone is getting it.

You have a software probl. Either a driver or or incompatible hard or software. Try re-install clean. Win ME is more finicky abt 32 bit stuff.Other than that I love it.

I also have a problem with windows ME hanging up when connecting to the internet.I don't have aol I have earthlink has anyone heard about this problem?

Do you have a phone connected to the same line as your modem?

I found that when i've used the phone whilst the computers on, then tried to connect to the net ME hangs.

It's fine after a reboot

Steve

I have a problem where if I connect to the internet and then load IE (or somtimes it wont even connect to the net) the computer hangs

If you use CTRL+ALT+DEL and close MDM (Machine Debug Manager) amd WinMgmt (Windows Management Instrumentation) this solves the problem for me

MDM has a nasty habit of loading when you least expect it so the easiest way to remove it is to do the following
1. open regedit and browse to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices then delete the "Machine Debug Manager" value
2. open InternetExplorer and open Internet options in the Tools menu, go to the Advanced tab, scroll down the list until you see an option called "Disable Script Debuging" and check it
3. Go to your Windows\System directory and rename MDM.exe to MDM.ex_ this will prevent any calls to it

After doing this my system runs almost perfectly

If anyone knows what WinMgmt is and/or how to prevent it from loading, I would be interested to know

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back