Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

WIN -> Linux secure browsing problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

HebbeLille

Technical User
Nov 25, 2002
SE
I've set up a small network consisting of one Linux machine running Red Hat 8.0, with ISDN connection and running firestarter firewall and one XP box connected to the Linux machine on an ethernet cable.

After setting up the network, ip addresses and stuff, it seems that the network is working the way I want. I get to check my email on the XP box using Outlook (I know quite a few of you dont like that :)) and normal browsing works fine. However, if I try to log into my internet bank service, it wont work. The banking service uses digital certificates, and when I try to log on, it asks me to use my certificate, I click ok on the "certificate-dialogue-box" and then I get this "the page cannot be displayed"...

What am I missing??? Hopefully you guyz are able to help me... using netscape in Linux I can't connect to the bank, and Opera for Linux is regularly dying using this service...

HebbeLille

Check with the banks website that they are not MS Internet Explorer only (grrrr.....)

Check the firestarter firewall. It may have the blocked the SSL. Banks normal uses Secure Site to check accounts. Check your Security Settings of you browser on the WindowsXP.
[ol]From your internet browser click,
[li]Tools,[/li][li] Advance[/li][li]Internet Options[/li][/ol]Tick[ul][li]Use SSL2.0[/li][li]Use SSL3.0[/li][li]Use TLS 1.0[/li][/ul]

I've ticked the options in Internet Explorer. I know the problem is not on the XP side, cause it works when I connect that computer directly to the internet (and not using the connection through the Linux box).

You mention "check the firestarter firewall"... When running the wizard I get asked if I'm having any services available, but that is only if it should be available from the internet and in to my network, isn't it? Shouln't services started from within my network work fine? Also, firestarter shows hits that it blocks, and no hits from my net-bank appears...

Need more help :)

Helge
--xx--

The only think I can think of is;

[ul][li] Your firewall blocking SSL from the internet.[/li]
[li] You firewall is not brocasting your IP address and as a result the bank can not verify you PC. [/li]

Try This.
[li]Stop your firewall daemon[/li]
[li]log into your bank not via the firewall from your linux box.[/li][/ul]
By the way do you have any proxy server running?

I don't have any proxy server running... However, I HAVE blocked all incoming on the firewall... seems like I have to open for SSL???

The odd thing being, it works from the linux-box, but not from the xp box, using the linux-box as gateway... That means the firewall is not the blocking part, since its working from the linuxbox, right?

Check the firewall to allow HTTPS (ports 81 and 8081). It seems to be blocking that ports into the network (between the linux and the XP)

Bytes!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back