Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

win->linux coonection and vice-versa

Status
Not open for further replies.

laurentiuz

Programmer
Oct 26, 2002
FR
Hi,
sorry from the start for the stupid question but I am a newbie : can I connect from win to linux on the same pc ?
a telnet from dos ? vice-versa how can I do - being logged on Linux to emulate a session on win partition ?
thanks in advance for the help ?
PS: in addition , if I forgot my password of root on Linux
what can I do to change it ?

Easy one first:

Recover root password:

Re-Boot to Grub -> Ctrl+ a -> then boot into single user mode your now in as root without giving a password, so do passwd <newpasswd> .... and reboot.

Now the not so easy one (whell not at lunchtime).. you can use the mount command to mount a windows partition while running Linux on that same server, so I suggest you do a google for &quot;mount windows partition on Linux&quot; .... you should find something like this ...

Good Luck
Laurie.

you will laught but how to connect in single user mode ?
When the pc is rebooted I can choose linux but after that ?
when do I have to tape ctrl-a? Can you tell me a site with free doc for Linux newbie like me, because I am shame.

Its sometimes worth buying or borrowing a book from a library. Maybe one of the following... others will have alternatives too.

1.Unix System Administration Handbook -Prentice Hall PTR

2.Running Linux - O'Reilly

or

3.Red Hat Linux 9 Bible

I know they are not free but there may come a point when you have managed to isolate yourself from the net and cant remember a simple command and the only thing you can do is wait until tomorrow when you can get net access elsewhere. Not that, thats happened to me you understand. No I had the books but left them at work ---- DOH.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back