Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win 98se Internet connection sharing

Status
Not open for further replies.

pupton

MIS
Dec 14, 2000
US
Im using an analogue modem to dial from machine 1. Meantime machine 2's web browser times out waiting for machine 1 to complete it's connection.

Any way to increase wait time on machine 2?

Paul

You've lost me.
Is this a peer to peer network?
if so are they sharing the modem?
is this an internal or external modem?
What OS are you running? and Version(Service pack)
Who is your ISP?
What Browser Are you Using?

I recall seeing somewere the ability to change this time however I just refresh after modem connects.

Im using 98Se across a small lan machine 1 has an internal modem installed and is dialling up as required. Machine 2 has machine 1 set as it's default gateway. Problem is the time that machine 1 takes to connect as machine 2's web page request times out...

Paul

First go to machine one. Dial to your ISP. If it stays connected than goto machine two and connect with your browser. A browser doesnt "time-out" That is a communication error with modem and handshaking.
I think to make things real easy you may want to use PCAnywhere.

I can tell that the modem in pc 1 is dialling up ok as it does not have to retry whilst handshaking. the problem is the time that the alanog modem takes to connect. I have tried different isp's but the problem still exists. pc 2 has to be refreshed to obtain a connection and open the home page.

Im hoping that their is a reg hack to increase the wait on pc 2 before it displays cannot open page...

I appreciate your help so far.

Paul

This thread seems old ....... did anyone find a solution? I have 4 clients are being driven mad by this problem. Microsoft have 2 fixes posted on their website neither of which work (registry key NameSrvQueryTimeout and Modem Call Preferences setting)......... Any news on this one?

I'm not quite sure how the previous setup's were configured, I have set up this sort of thing a number of times using a software proxy server, AnalogX Proxy at and have not encountered the problem they mention. If this doesn't help, post back.

Thanks Paul, I'll give it a go ......... If this is solved by running a different piece of proxy software (e.g. analogx instead of windows ics), then the problem must be on the Internet Connection Sharing machine ......... I've been scouring the registry on the clients for timeout settings, maybe I should have been concentrating on the ics server. If I get anywhere further with this, I'll post another message,

Jon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back