Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win 98SE computers not recognizing others on network

Status
Not open for further replies.

SoarEagles

Technical User
Oct 2, 2001
US
I stepped into a real problem. There are 4 HP Pavilion computers running Win 98SE in a Peer to Peer network using a hub and DSL modem attached to the uplink slot on the hub.
2 computers recognize each other but not the DSL connection or the other 2 computers. The other 2 recognize the DSL connection and each other but not the ones that do not recognize the DSL connection.

I need all four to recognize each other and the DSL connection.

All were functioning properly (except they were infested with viruses) until I :
1. disconnected the patch cables and removed the viruses by following the directions given by Symantec
2. ran complete virus scans on each machine. (None were found)
3. shut everything down (including hub and modem), reconnected and restarted in order Hub, DSL modem, computers.

I have completely removed and reinstalled the network settings, reinstalled Win 98SE and quadruple checked to insure the network settings are exactly the same.

Logon: Client for MS Networks
Installed network settings.
Client for Microsoft Networks
File and Print Sharing
NIC Card (all same brand)
Virtual Private Networking (required for necessary application)
TCP/IP setup for DSL ISP

Thank you for any help.

Is it a 4-port hub? Usually the uplink port requires 1 port on the hub to be "free".

Do all of them have the same Workgroup name?

And you have network troubleshooting ability on a floppy that came with the NICs?
Can you ping around? Ed Fair
unixstuff@juno.com
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

see also : thread615-409783 The solution is out there. [morning]

It is an 8 port hub. I moved the connections around and made sure to plug one that did not work into a port where one had been working. All ports with connections show green lights.

All computers have the same workgroup name.

The NICs are OEM and HP did not provide any floppies. Can you reccomend some diagnostic software?

I can ping the computers that show but not the ones that don't. Same with the "Find Computer" command.

Thread615-409783 has several good suggestions in it. I read the thread and tried all before I started this thread.

BTW I also did restore the registry on one computer to a time when all was well but it didn't change anything other than I had to go back and remove the references to the viruses.

Thanks for these suggestions and please continue with more suggestions.

Swap the cables and or NIC's from working PC to non-working to test them.
Shut them all down and start only that are NOT connecting now.
BTW, is the sunet 255.255.255.0?
If one PC is the 'boss', or the DSL hub, give them all that IP address as Default gateway.
What are the IP address you get on all pc's? The solution is out there. [morning]

I reread Marcs41's post on Thread615-409783 and realized that I had not tried doing this step using IP addresses.

4: Fill in the Default Gateway on the 2 PC's, or, if one is connected to the internet with cable or so, give the Default Gateway from the other PC the IP from the first.

I will try that on Monday. I can't get to the computers until then.

Thanks again. If you want to soar with the eagles, you can't run with the turkeys.

Ok, the problems are solved. The ISP had moved the user from one server to another and had not properly redirected all of the links. Two were redirected and two were not.

It cost me a lot of time. I feel like sending them a bill.

Thank you for all of your suggestions. "Knowledge is gained only through experience." - Albert Einstein

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back