Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win 98 shutsdown automatically and then reboots

Status
Not open for further replies.

gouldish

Technical User
Aug 15, 2001
US
I have a p3 700m machine with 128m ram which it seems to have a mind of its own. randomly it shuts down and reboots. You could be doing anything from the internet to word and weerything in between. Some days it happens several times and other days it doesn't. Any ideas?

most likely your power supply is going out or is under rated for the load you are putting on it...

I don't think it is underrated because we bought four exactly the same machines and they all work fine. It is possible that the power supply is faulty. But why reboot?
Is there any other things I should check, could it software related?

the reason i said power supply is because if voltage drops, that is the type of thing that would happen. your machine would drop, power would likely come back up, and the machine would restart.

it could also be a solder joint that is expanding/contracting.

it could be software related, too, but good luck trying to track that down...

The only thing that plagues me is upon restart there is no scandisk which leads me to believe it is a legimitate shut down.

Hi gouldish,
Perhaps you should post more info about your system and about what is happening to your machine.

It seems to me that the info you "added" in your subsequent posts is pretty relevant when troubleshooting - don't you?

Come on, help us to help you - people tire (well I do!) of making suggestions and having them knocked back when the poster could have included info that would have prevented someone making the suggestion in the first place.

There was nothing wrong with jeffwright's suggestion based on the info you originally posted.

And while I am on the subject - you admit it could possibly be a faulty power and you also tell us that you have at least 3 other identical machines that are working fine. Why haven't you swapped a PSU from one of those machines into it?

You keep plugging away.

I had this same problem twice, it baffled me the first time.

It turned out to be the 400 mhz memory I had on my machine was'nt compatible with the motherboard, lowered it to 333 in the bios and worked fine.

The other was also memory related, just plain old faulty mem.

I don't know if this will help, hope so!
John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back