Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win 98 resources - is there a program to get them back?

Status
Not open for further replies.

garebo

Vendor
May 29, 2002
CA
With my dual boot system, as much as I try to use win xp I keep going back to win 98se. I just like it better, even though it screws up.
Anyway, I have a few questions. I have heard it explained a million times and I still dont understand. For instance, I run memturbo 2, full version. It restores memory leakage that win98 is famous for, but I still run into the problem where my resources run down to nothing and I have to re-boot.
Can anyone refer me to a prog that will fix things so I dont run low on resources in win 98se?
Does win xp have the same problem? (I have run xp for hours and not run into this problem myself, so maybe that is the answer to my question, but I would like to hear from others with more knowledge than me, which is not a tough job,lol)
Can anyone exlain in easy to understand terms what the difference is between restoring memory leakage (which is what memturbo does), and restoring system resources, which is what runs down to little or nothing in win 98, and forces one to re-boot.
thanks in advance

WinNT 4.0, Win2K, and WinXP don't have the same problem as 95/98/ME with resources. There are programs out there that will aid in bringing back "available memory", but this is not the same as "available resources". Unfortunately, the only real efficient way to get them back is to reboot.

You'll notice that as you close open programs, your resources tend to go back up. However, the amount that a program gives back is nowhere near the amount that it used in the first place.

You can check under Control Panel -> System -> Performance Tab

~cdogg

"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."
- A. Einstein

Thanks for the info and links.
Will cacheman help with the shrinking resources problem?
Or is it similar to memturbo?

Or should I just go read for myself, getting lazy these days!

thanks

Wish I could stay away from win98se but I like it!!!!!

You'll find in due time that the best way to tweak your system is to minimize the amount of apps that load with Windows. It would be nice, but I'm afraid there isn't a single setting that will keep your resources from disappearing or bring them back without rebooting.

However, firewolfrl does bring up some good explanations as to why this occurs. Plus, I've only heard good things about Cacheman. It helps to "slow" the process, but unfortunately can't prevent it.

Yeah, I agree. I prefer Win98 for some of my apps/games too! That's why I set up a dual-boot system with Win2K.

Here's a FAQ (about having too much memory) to add to your reading pleasure:
faq615-2438 ~cdogg

"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."
- A. Einstein

I guess cacheman is different from memturbo. As I said above, time for me to put in some time and check these out.

Thanks again, people

merry xmas to all

God bless America too!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back