Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

win 98 network neighborhood access to win 2k domain

Status
Not open for further replies.

lminmei

Programmer
Feb 1, 2000
US
I have a win 2k PDC and a domain called macross.  I connect a win 98 and win 2k professional to the domain.  On the win 2k pro box, i can access the network and see the domain from the "Network Neighborhood" but on the Win 98 box, i can authenticate to the domain and "find" the PDC and map a shared directory directly from it (win 2k server) but I cannot get access to the Network Neighborhood.  It keeps saying "network is not accessible..or something like that."  ---  I've tried setting up WINS and using DHCP but still can access network from Network Neighborhood.  Why?

Have you tried setting the Workgroup name on the 98 box to the same name as the Domain?<br><br><br><br>dxd

Make sure the Domain name is correct and your using a valid username and password. Also try manually putting in TCP\IP addresses and not using the DHCP option. Make sure you can see and ping the other machines. Other than that check the hub and associated cabling.

I have checked the Domain name and i can authenticate to the server.&nbsp;&nbsp;I also have a win 2000 pro box that can access the network neighborhood with no problems at all.<br><br>I don't know what else to do anymore!

Usally when you get the Network Not Accessable message the networking properties are not correct, or in some cases I have found that there is a dll or file version incompatability. Solution:On the win98 box remove all networking components reboot and reinstall them 80% of the time this does it, you can also run winipcfg if your are running TCP/IP and verify that you are getting proper ip stuff (ip address/subnet mask) <p>Steve Bowman<br><a href=mailto:steve.bowman@wayservices.com>steve.bowman@wayservices.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

Make sure the win9x machine is in the same subnet.remove the components in the network settings and add them after rebooting.reconfigure the protocols etc. will solve your problem.It is just a browsing issue of Microsoft windows. <p>Rasindia<br><a href=mailto:rasindia@123india.com>rasindia@123india.com</a><br><a href= IndiaMalluEngineers</a><br>

Maybe it's the Active directory & there is no master browser on the net?

Try adding the W98 computer to the Domain.&nbsp;&nbsp;In Win NT4 you <br>could only add NT 4 computers to the Domain but in NT2000 you can ad non NT computers.&nbsp;&nbsp;It worked for me at least.

my office have computers with win98, 2000,and NT4, the server is NT4. in domain user group are computers running win98 and 2000. after config their IP adress and netmask corretly ,they can see and access each other. so I am wondering the difference between NT server4 and 2000 server.<br>maybe the difference is the problem?

Im relatively new to Win2K but a couple things that come to mind: Make sure that your Workgroup and Domain match on the the Win98 machine.&nbsp;&nbsp;Are you running Active Dirctory Native? Mixed Mode?&nbsp;&nbsp;I would install the DSClient just to be on the safe side.&nbsp;&nbsp;<br><br>brian

i've got the same problem with nt4 server and win98. the solution was that first i added the computers to the domain. you can do this in active directory user console. then 'cause it didnt work still i synchronized the time on the win2k pdc from the nt4 server - like - net time \\nt4server /set /yes.<br>and then it worked. maybe it helps you in my case it did. but be sure that all computers you are runnging on the network must be in the same timezone.<br><br>cazeno

Hi to all,

No domain found for may case.....

Installed the DS client already...

After keying in the username and password, my win 98 machine cannot detect the presense of the domain.

I am able to ping other PCs but cant see them in the network neighbour(no domain found).

Any idea what happen??

Thanks in advance.

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back