Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

win 98 installation VPN program gives user aborted installation error

Status
Not open for further replies.

gold3fish

Technical User
Oct 18, 2004
US
Windows 98 machine. I am trying to install extranet vpn client software and the installation wizard steps through the first three or for windows (directory choice, agreement screen, install now) as soon as it starts to copy files the window closes and small error box appears that reads "The user has cancelled or aborted the installation" I have tried to copy files to hard drive to run install and have shut off all virus software and anything I think would be running in the background. I had this software running on this windows 98 machine but I had to reformat my hard drive and reinstall the Win. 98 from the recovery disk. All other programs installed fine. Cannot seem to find help anywhere for this problem.

never used that software;
suggest you delete all TEMP files and clear all caches, history, then Update 98 to the state you had before
(for 98FE atleast to Customer Service Pack 1, and for 98SE there's this )

....you may have a borked installer - need MSI installer - and/or the wininit.ini .sav .bak files are corrupt, in which case rename them.

TT4U

Notification:
These are just my thoughts....and should be carefully measured against other opinions.
Backup All Important Data/Docs

Thanks TT4U,
I have tried the first suggestion of removing temp files and I was already running 98 (not SE)with the service pack 1 installed. Still getting same error message. "The user has cancelled or aborted the installation"

Your second suggestion
"....you may have a borked installer - need MSI installer - and/or the wininit.ini .sav .bak files are corrupt, in which case rename them. "

I am not sure how to proceed here could you give more detailed steps?

Thanks

It may be a wrong DLL, such as MSVCRT.DLL and MFC40(42?).DLL thats causing probs, but anyway -- CTRL + F for Find and Search C:\ (tick include subfolders) for wininit*.* Rename or delete them all -- EXCEPT WININIT.EXE, which is replaceable anyways..Check \WINDOWS for a "Installer" folder

Does that software require 98 have the L2TP/IPSec Client thingy ?

TT4U

Notification:
These are just my thoughts....and should be carefully measured against other opinions.

TT4U
I have done as you suggested and install wizard still aborts installation just after it copies all the files.

I think the L2TP you suggested is just for dial up connections. I did download it and tried to install it but it told me it was for a dial up connection and I would have to unistall somethings first. I use a cable connection. I don't think that has much to do with my installation problem. Can you think of anything else to try?

Search Google for Extranet VPN Client and known issues

Do you have Client for MS Networks Installed through Control Panel >> Network Applet and Set to "Primary Network Logon" ???

there may be a Control Panel >> Add/Remove Programs >> "Windows Component", such as Netmeeting, WebServer, etc that isn't installed.....you'll have to research what comp's are necessary and View the "Details" button when selecting "Accessories" for ex in Win Comp

TT4U

Notification:

I have MS Networks installed.

My problem is that the program never finishes installing it aborts. I am never prompted that the installation is complete or that I need to restart. Even if I do restart the program still does not show up in the programs folder. I have even tried to copy the .exe file to my hard drive and then launch the install but that doesn't work either.

I have looked at microsoft support web for this kind of installation abort error message but nothing comes up. Could there be a problem with the installshield wizard?

I really need to get this program installed on my computer.

Do you have trouble installing ANY other software????
Can you d/l another Copy of that extranet software ? - where'd you get it?...is it on CD-R?
You may have a corrupted d/l exe ?

TT4U

Notification:

I can install other software.
The copy of the extranet software is on a CR-R which was copied by the IT department at work. I actually have three copies on CD-R and they all do the same thing. I have tried to copy .exe file to my hardrive first and then run .exe file but it still aborts the install after it copies all files but before it creates a new registry file (I am not that familar with the sequence of events a PC uses to install a program)

I can't seem to download this file eac465d.exe from Nortel or anywhere else.

Find the INF file in the C:\WINDOWS\inf folder (hidden) and Rename the file

Start > Settings > Folder Options > View Tab > tick "Show All files" and untick "hide extensions for known...."

Search the HDD for Msiexec.exe and MsiEXEC.msi (MS Installer - usually in \System folder) .....also look in \WINDOWS for an Installer folder

Obtain a New version from MS if necessary

CTRL +F yields a Search box and make C:\ in "Look in" and tick include "subfolders" when searching.
Delete all Temporary Internet File, History, Cookies, Recent, and TEMP folder contents....all these are sub folder of \WINDOWS

The Winini*.* are related rebooting and to reinstalling....yet so is the MSI file.

If necessary look here;
C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield
and Delete the whole thing

Heck Reformat and reinstall the whole OS if necessary
Have an OEM 98 disk? with Restore CD's
see faq615-5157

TT4U

Notification:

PROBLEM FIXED!
After doing all the above suggested steps I was ready to give up on this software ever installing on my computer but I had one last idea and that was to make sure the software I had would install on any windows 98 machine, which it did. At that point I knew it had to be the operating system I had just installed so I reformatted the hard drive and installed a clean version of windows 98 from my factory OEM CD AGAIN. Several hours later I now have installed the contivity vpn software I needed and I am limping back to full productivity. Thanks for all your help!

You're quite welcome - great news...

one correction though - it's the WinKEY + F for the Find box to open (not ctrl + f) to search the PC for files - although ctrl + f is useful and finds "in the page".

anyway - nice follow up

TT4U

Notification:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back