Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win 98 Install through DOS with USB CD-R

Status
Not open for further replies.

kings23

MIS
Sep 5, 2002
US
I have a Fujitsu Stylistic 2300 Tablet PC that I am trying to install Win 98 on a formatted HD. I have an external floppy which works fine and a USB CD-R 2.0 in which I can only get so far with during the begining of installation.
I tried DUSE by itself using the USB DOS CD ROM Boot Disk I got from bgdf.com but it only said SSB Drive Support Enabled; Drive (not installed). I then tried to add the DUSE files to a Win 98 Startup disk along with:
*Config.sys*
device=a:\himem.sys
devicehigh=a:\emm386.exe
device=USBCD1.sys /d:CDROM and
*autoexec*
a:\mscdex.exe /D:CDROM /L:d

After this the startup disk loads and I choose Start setup from CD ROM.
I get: Device Name: OEMCD001: no drives found, aborting Instalation.
Further on down I get an Error: An XMS driver is already installed. XMS driver not installed then continues to load. Pause...then DUSE loads and it shows that it found my CD ROM and continues to go to the Win 98 Setup Screen. I press Enter to continue and I get this:
Windows Setup requires 'largest executable program size' to be at least 442368 bytes to run. Please remove any floppy disk from your drives and restart. I remove drive and restart but I get an invalid system disk. Can anyone help me get this cd rom installed so I can continue instalation??? Thanks

Brian

Hi,
Just pitching ideas here.

Shouldn't your CD ROM be E: if you have booted up with A: ?

As I said just a thought.

Regards.

The CD ROM doesn't have to be E: as long as the hard drive is just one partition on C does it? When the boot disk runs it shows that the CD ROM is enabled on drive D and I get to the 98 setup screen on the cd as I can hear it spinning. It just craps out after I click Enter to go to the next screen. So I'm seeing Win 98 setup begin to run but I can't access the CD ROM from the command prompt. Frustrated but dedicated to find the answer.

kings

maybe it is just a misprint but where is the system suppose to find the usbcd1.sys file at?
(device=usbcd1.sys) you dont have the location specified
as in (device=a:\usbcd1.sys)

kings23 as I said I was just pitching ideas. Your machine is in front of you and you have the opportunity to "tinker".

What usually happens in these situations is that the boot disk creates a virtual drive, usually C: the hard drive then becomes D: and so the CD ROM becomes E: these all revert to their proper designations on the reboot.

What I am "guessing" is that because you have specified your CD ROM as D: that the setup disk is attempting to install on C: which is not possible because it is a small "virtual" drive - your hard drive is actually E: and you have no way of redirecting the windows setup to that location (?).

As I said I am guessing, but on the face of what you describe it seems to cover your situation.

Regards.

possible win98user but your backwards on the C: and D:
98 bootdisk creates the ramdrive on c: if there is no partitions defined and on d: if there is if more than 1 partition then the ramdrive will take the next drive letter available then your cdrom drives will follow

Thanks ~ that takes care of why I said "What usually happens..." lol.

So, if the virtual drive has been assigned E: then it is trying to load to D: which is the CD ROM and would give the same problem being described.

All the best,

John.

Still agree its possible, what i would do in this situtation is to just take a standard win98 setup disk and the files needed for the usb drive then only modify as needed which as i see it is in the config.sys file:
add this line under [cd]
device=usbcd1.sys /D:mscd001
and copy the that file to the root of a:

Kings23 - did you get your stylistic to take the OS? I just got one for data collection and will try to load the OS through the PCMCIA-usb card to cd drive. Did you go directly thru the USB port? Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back