Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

win 98 freezes

Status
Not open for further replies.

joystick8

Technical User
Jan 19, 2003
US
Hi I put win98se on a pentium pro-200mhz and it is always locking up. The mouse and keyboard quit working and I have to use the reset button. I might be 5 min. and it might take 30 min. before it locks-up. Had a defrag problem and installed diskeeperlite and that seems to have fixed that, I thought it might be IE(6) so i ran the repair tool, that didn't help. A friend said it might be the processor over heating but I can't seem to find a temp. reading on it. Please any help is appreciated

Just a couple of thoughts here..

How much installed memory do you have?

System freezes can point to a failing power supply, or motherboard to start with. You may want to open the case to see if there is a lot of dust build up as this has a insulating effect thus a heat problem..

Hey thanks for the reply. 3.5 gig and 64mb ram and I am going to check the inside like you said. do you happen to know where to check the temp. of the processor on my other pc i found it in the bios but can't find it on this one i guess they are all different.
One more question is ram and cache the same because it says cache is 256k and ram is showing 64mb

well I checked inside and there does not seem to be much dust at all. thx anyway

well ok I read the article and I gather the cache is for the prosesser and the ram is more for the web, web sites, pics, ect. that you might also want to access faster then the main memory and things that take a lot more memory that can fit in the cache.[bigears]
anyway still a little confused but I stay that way (should be technically challenged user instead of technical user) HA HA [wink]
yes it will start in safe mode
Thanks [sunshine]

sorry it took so long to get back to this. I replaced the mouse and that seems to have fixed it. It hasn't frooze up since I put the other mouse in, about 2 full days. Wanted to let you know how it turned out. Thanks for the help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back