Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win 98 doesn't have "Sharing" in the shortcut menu 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

jomarikida

Programmer
Jun 6, 2002
PH

My win98 is connected to a LAN. It does not have a "Sharing" command whenever I right-click a folder/printer so I can't share anything. I can see other computers in the network and access their shared files but not mine.

I checked the network neighborhood settings (services, protocols, and card installed seems fine with me)They're just the same settings as with my companion's win98 but he has sharing capabilities and I don't

Another thing, I can't see the icon of my own computer in the network neighborhood.

Thanks in advance

Hi jomarikida,

Try this. In the start menu click settings/Control Panel/Network. On the configuration tab, make sure that the dialog box with your network card, tcp/ip, etc. contains an entry that says "File & Printer sharing for Microsoft Networks". If not, then click Add/service/File & printer sharing for Microsoft Networks". If you do have file & printer sharing service installed then look on the configuration tab towards the middle. There should be a button that says File & Printer sharing. Click on the button and make sure both options are checked.

I hope this helps.

I alredy checked the Control Panel -> Network particularly the Dialog Box with "File & Printer sharing for Microsoft Networks". It has the service installed and both check boxes(share files and share printers) are checked yet the "Sharing" command still won't appear in the shortcut menus.

I had my companion log-in on my computer to see if it has something to do with my LAN account but it is still the same.

I am beginning to suspect a glitch in the OS or maybe some system files are corrupt. What do you think?

I have found that to fully access the net work shareing you also need to have internet connection also . I have two PC net worked and to try and get network shareing is impossable untill I add the Internet connection shareing, even though I dont use it , The internet connection shareing is in the add remove program under set up- Internet tools , after that is installed you will get shareing on right click

I've tried that but its still doesn't work. Thanks anyway.

I've run into the same thing in the past with a couple of clients and as far as I can tell it is an OS glitch. The minute we reloaded win98 the option reappeared. Unfortunately this is the only way I've found to correct the problem.

Please try this: rebuild the network stack. Have the network card driver disk handy, just in case.

To do it right you have to go into Safe Mode. Go into Control Panel / Network and remove all devices. Do not reboot when asked. Go into Control Panel / Add-Remove Programs / Windows Setup tab / Communications and uncheck Dial-Up Networking (if installed). Then reboot.

The computer will redetect all hardware. Do not reboot. Go to Control Panel / Network, add and properly configure everything you had before (and need), then reboot.

In addition, Windows requires a pasword entry to enable sharing, even if the 'password' was just hitting <Enter> when it asked you the first time. Windows caches the passwords in .PWL files located in the \Windows directory, with the file name matching the log-in name of the user. If you want to make sure that is not the problem (after trying the above) delete the .PWL file. NOTE: Any passwords saved by the Windows security layer will be lost. You will have to reenter them.

Please post the outcomes. Thank you. Your mileage may vary...

Thanks for the tip. I haven't tried it out yet but I'll keep you posted of the outcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back