Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win 98' Defrag hangs at 0%

Status
Not open for further replies.

softmchine

IS-IT--Management
May 17, 2001
US
Does anyone know why, when i start defrag it hangs at 0% and/or how to fix it with out reformating. Microsoft's solution was to clear out temp files but thats stupid. I was thinking maybe defrag itself was corupt but then scandisk does not find any problems. Should i try coping defrag from another sys. and replacing the current one? I see this rather often and am tired of reinstalling windows so i thought there might be a better solution.

Thanks,
Jeremy

Try this,

It seems to me that on Windows 98 machines, that you have to make sure you close all open applications before running both SCANDISK and DEFRAG.

Close all your open apllications, then Press Ctrl+Alt+Delete once and you will see a list of things still running. You need to select each one (excpet Explorer) and choose end task. You will probably have to push Ctrl+Alt+Delete - End task several times before windows responds. Once all open applications are closed, then run defrag like this:
START-RUN-DEFRAG.EXE
then push OK at the defrag screen.

Hopefully this will work for you,
NATE There is a solution to everything!
If something can't be done, then
it just means the solution has yet
to be discovered!

Why do you think it is stupid to delete temp files? I would recommend the following:
1) Boot into safe mode
2) Delete *.tmp, ~*.* and *.chk files
3) Go to c:\temp, c:\tmp and or c:\windows\temp and delete everything
4) Delete all internet cache files via IE, netscape or your browser of choice
5) Empty recycle bin
6) Run Defrag

Thanks i'll give it a shot, but don't i need to leave systray running also?

I dont think it is stupid to delete temp files, i actually do quite often but in this case it just seemed like a cop out. I will give it a wirl though, thanks.

Sorry, I guess I just took too literally when you said "Microsoft's solution was to clear out temp files but thats stupid."

Let us know how it goes.

All the suggestions are good above.

I would also:

1. Turn off Virus softare, disable or do it in msconfig.
2. Log off network, if you are on one.
3. Clean up your startup. Go here to learn how.
4. Download "End it All" program that will shut all your
programs down for you.

Also, don't move your mouse during defrag. It will start over. I could be wrong, so don't hold that against me. At least I'm trying! I hope I've helped in some way........

No you don't need your system tray to be running, and I would like to point out that "visualuser"'s comment about disabling your virus protection in msconfig is not necessary, because you will shut it down by using Ctrl+Alt+Delete. Then only thing that should be left running in the list when you push Ctrl+Alt+Delete is Explorer.

And, as for not moving your mouse around, I don't think that should matter. I've defraged my Windows 98 machine many times and have moved the mouse around, and it doesn't stop. The key is shutting down all open applications

Nate There is a solution to everything!
If something can't be done, then
it just means the solution has yet
to be discovered!

Download >
Layout.zip , fixes desktop layout , for when you come out of Safe Mode . It can restore your
Desktop , back the way it was .

Run defrag in Safe mode 1st , then download ME defrag .

Toggle F8 or press Ctrl key during bootup , choose
safe-mode .

----------------------------------

Windows ME defrag ( free ) , very fast . I don't need to close
( ctrl/alt/delete ) anything down to run defrag , no restarts .
Get it from here .

W9X-Me-Defrag

================================

Open Windows Explorer , go down to Windows , left click on the yellow
folder , this opens the right hand panel .
Scroll down to defrag & write down the exact name . Next , right
click on defrag , scroll down to rename & click on it . Now left
click at the end of defrag & add the word old . So if you had the
word defrag , it now becomes defragold .
Now rename MEdefrag to whatever you wrote down , drag & drop it on
the yellow Windows folder or anywhere in the right hand side .
Both achive the same thing & Windows will after you close , put it
alphabetically . That's it .

=================================

Also , to make ME Defrag even Faster for it's 1st run , from
Windows Explorer , Delete all the files ( except the read only file )
in Windows > Applog . Taskmon will rebuild the Applog file .

To view Applog , do this .
Windows Explorer > View > Folder Options > View , click on Show all files . Click OK .

Thanks everyone, I am sure one of these solutions will work. I will try it this weekend and let you guys know how it went Monday. Thanks again.

DellComputerUser

Win98 doesn't show the virus software running when you hit alt,control,delete. ( at least mine doesn't - norton corp edition ) Win2k does, but in 98 you have to go into msconfig to stop if from starting up. Guess I should have been more clear.

I have Norton Anti-Virus 2001, and it shows in Ctrl+Alt+Delete menu.

Oh well. It doesn't really matter. Whatever works the best for you softmchine. VisualUser's comment about disabling it in msconfig is a good idea, I just thought that if your computer would let you do it in Ctrl+Alt+Delete, then it would be a lot less hastle.

Good luck [cheers]
Nate

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!

That is why I suggested booting into safe mode. No need to disable anything or manually kill any task.

These are a couple of Microsoft suggestions that you probably have already tried. Did you delete your applog?

There was another tip, that I can't find now, but I had a problem where Disk Defragmenter would not run and I was advised to go to System Information, Tools, System File Checker, Settings, Advanced, and click on "Restore Defaults"
and this fixed the particular problem I had. This was over a year ago and I don't remember where I got that info, but it worked. I could be wrong, so don't hold that against me. At least I'm trying! I hope I've helped in some way........

Another thing:
Unfortunately, even msconfig may not solve the problem. Viruses, adware, and spyware are sneaky and will not show up in the Task Manager or the msconfig displays. To detect and eliminate such programs (which may cause more serious problems down the line), you should run a full virus scan with updated virus definitions and use Steve Gibson's OptOut or Lavasoft's Ad-aware to find and remove hidden software.

I could be wrong, so don't hold that against me. At least I'm trying! I hope I've helped in some way........

You may want to disable your screen saver as well.[shadeshappy]

Defineately disable your screen saver, forgot about that point. That's probably why I turned off the scrren saver a a while ago (I defrag every week). [cheers]
Nate

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back