Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win 98 - definition/upgrade to SE

Status
Not open for further replies.

jst

Programmer
Aug 1, 2001
GB
I have Windows 98 version 4.10.1998

I've noticed that several video editing cards/software specify they need Windows 98 SE.

Although I've checked out the Microsoft website, I am unclear whether I can download the appropriate upgrade to make my version SE.

Is it possible..?
If not... how serious would it be to try to run these video programmes on MY version of Win 98..?

Considering the complexity of the video editing software and capture card (I use Pinnacle's DV 500 Plus and Adobe Premiere), you have enough future hassles to worry about without causing even more headaches by not shelling out the $89 retail for SE. I upgraded...but your call.

Interesting! In other words the two have some pretty major differences...?!?

..so.. should I in fact be upgrading to the even newer ME.. or do you advise I go with Win 98 SE..?

If your hardware supports the minimum requirements for Windows ME, then go for it since you'll be shelling out around the same amount of cash.

Keep in mind that Windows ME will run eat up more system resources on your pc than Win98SE...it's your call

Choice of operating system is one of the things I won't argue about. But take a look around on TT and see how many gripes about ME and how many are backing up to SE.
Overall I think you'll be happier at SE. Ed Fair
efair@atlnet.com

Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply.

Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

me has driver issues and software issues. it also will hide things from u in the name of customer convenience. and u cant get to dos on reboot.

i think thats plenty. i predict 98se will be the windows op sys that never dies. esp since the unreleased windows xp wont let u add hardware without 'consulting' with ms.

linux has its adherents too.

X-> x->

Edfair has it on the money. For whatever reason, if video vendors tailor their wares for an operating system, it's for a reason. The video components are too twitchy (work one time not another) to fool with OS's. Also, going to ME?? I researched heavily before I shelled out the $800 video ashtray I stare at sometimes, and read very little positive about ME, with most folks reinstalling SE. My problems have nothing to do SE.

Thanks very much all and one, you've given me plenty of food for thought!

spacekowboy,

actually, you can add hardware in Windows XP, but the if you have to reinstall the OS after adding hardware, then that's where you MIGHT have problems (and will have to gripe to MS). It just depends what kind of hardware you choose to upgrade...

as far as Win98SE goes for stability, let's just say it has more compatibility :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back