Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win 98 cleints hang on shutdown on Win 2K Server

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 21, 2003
US
I have Win 2K Server SP3 with Win XP, Win 2K and Win 98 clients. My Win 98 users are telling me that since they've been added to the domain their shutdowns hang. Has anyone ever heard of this happening and is this documented any where?

Hi,

Windows 98 is renowned for its shutdown problems. Microsoft has published quite a few articles on the problem, and even a few fixes. Check the following link:

The main problem seems to be mapped network drives.

I can honestly say that I have tried all of microsofts fixes for this problem, and none of them seemed to work 100%.

IMOHO I would create a shortcut on the win98 desktops to the following command:

C:\Windows\Rundll.exe user,exitwindows

This is the only solution that works 100% for me, and I use it on all my win98 clients on my network.

Hope this helps.. mot98
[cheers]

"Victory goes to the player who makes the next-to-last mistake."
- Chessmaster Savielly Grigorievitch Tartakower (1887-1956)

I tried the 98 shutdown patch and it worked a treat for me. Also, are you running Active Directory Services on your Win2k server? If so, make sure you install the dsclient.exe (which can be found in \clients\win9x folder on the win2k server cd) on your Win98 workstations. This is basically and updated version of the Microsoft Client for Microsoft Network with support for Active Directory, which Win98 has no native support for. I had loads of problems with my 98 machines and this update cured it. Only install it if you are running Active Directory though

mot98: The exitwindows cmd works like a charm. Thanks! I have to admit I do have a little trepidation about re-training my users to shutdown with a shortcut.

ppuddick: Yes, I do have the dsclient installed for when I'm ready to go native. Thanks for the help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back