Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win 98 and Network problems 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

adawg2001

Technical User
Dec 18, 2004
US
Hello,
I have a cable internet connection and I have 2 computers sharing the connection thru a NAT enabled router. One computer is running XP and the other 98. I need to be able to share a printer and files on each computer.

Everything was great and running fine till one morning I woke up and suddenly the 98 computer couldn't see itself or the XP machine on the network anylonger. Both computers still have internet access, the XP maching can see the resources on the 98 maching....but the 98 machine can't see anything on the network.

When I run a net view on the 98 machine I get the following:

Error 6118: The computers sharing resources in this workgoup cannot be located. The computers might have been restared. If the problem persists make sure your network adapter settings are correct.

Furthermore, When I attempt to view the network in Network Neighborhood I get the following:

The Network is not accessible, please view the network troublehsooter.

I've done a zillion searches on the net and have found alot of suggestion but nothing has worked thus far...like I said evertything was fine one day then without any changes all of a sudden the 98 machine cannot see anything on the network.

Please help!

Thanks!

Did you try unplugging the router from power to see if it will reset itself?

i gave that a shot but it didn't work...

I'm about 99% sure its some config issue on the 98 machine as I'm still able to get out to the internet on it but cannot see itself or the XP machine under network neighborhood.

How about adding NETBUI as a protocol? Or deleting the adapter, then reinstalling it and the TCPIP? This generally works.
98 is bad about doing this. I get around it using Lantastic and netbios on my machines.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

ok i'm going to go ahead and try NetBui and hope that does the trick. I tried removing TCP/IP and the adapter but no luck.

One thing i noticed is i cannot ping the xp machine from the 98 machine, but I am able to ping the 98 machine from the xp machine. I made sure all the firewalls were turned off on both.

Also, when i try and open Network Neighborhod on the 98 machine....it takes a long time for it to competley open....it acutally opens then there is a animated flashlight in the middle of the page that goes back and forth for about 2 mins before a promt appears saying the network is not accessible.

Could be a Firewall/security setting on the XP machine. Did you load SP2? It enables many security settings by default.

First, try every step in this tutorial first:

If that doesn't work, there are many references below. Keep in mind that there isn't a one time all-around solution to this problem. Different fixes work in different environments:

~cdogg
[tab]"All paid jobs absorb and degrade the mind";
[tab][tab]- Aristotle
[tab][navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

I know this sounds stupid, but I have seen this many times. To be able to use shared resources on a network, you have to actually log in. It is possible on windows 98 to click cancell and still use your PC as a stand alone. Be sure you are actually logging in.

golfgeek, you saved my shiny white posterior! Thanks a bunch.

Would you have any equivalent tips concerning busted Troubleshooters in 98SE? After selecting an problem description, the Next> button produces a blank screen. All topics. There are suggestions that update 811630USA8.EXE fixes a previous Windows update boo-boo, but it didn't help me.

I have 2 hub-linked 98SE machines, and both have the same problem.

I'm going to start a new thread called Busted Troubleshooter
with this info.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back