Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win 95 PC dropped off network

Status
Not open for further replies.

lewishardwick

Technical User
Jan 11, 2003
GB
Hi guys(and girls),

I wonder if you can help me out...

I have recently installed an ADSL router onto a small office network. Each machine has had to have its IP address changed, the two Windows XP machines have both got their IP addresses manually assigned and can see each other over the network and can access e-mail and the internet.

However, the one Windows 95 machine they have is still giving me problems.

It also has a correct IP address assigned to it, and it can browse the internet fine. However, it cannot see the two Windows XP machines, nor can they see the Win 95 machine.

I have checked all the IP addresses, and these appear fine. Something much be right if it can see the internet. However, it has got me stumped, and working until 11pm to fix it gave me a nasty headache :(

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

Lewis Hardwick

If you want the Windows 95 machine seen on the network you need to have file & printer sharing enabled.
Are you able to ping the IP address of the Win95 machine from the XP machines?

File&Printer sharing is enabled.

Sorry, I should have mentioned that it was working fine when the network IP range was different.

Yes, ping works. If a little flakey...

Has the subnet mask changed. Are all the settings, except for individual IP address the same? Make sure that the default gateway is the same on all machines.

Subnet mask did change yes - btu I have changed this too.

I've also checked the default gateway, this is Ok too. All the setting are identical on all the machines (excluding IP's of course)...

Someone has suggested the HOSTS file?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back