Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win 95 Display Resolution

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpbgolf

Technical User
Dec 28, 2001
US
Hi,

I had to replace a monitor on my kids PC running Windows 95. The monitor is an older NEC Multisync 15" model. After replacing the monitor, I went to control panel\display then settings. The resolution was set at 480 X 640. I changed the resolution settings to 600 X 800 to test if the monitor could handle it. The screen became illegible.

I would like to know how this can be changed back to 480 X 640 from DOS.

Thaks,

JB

Restart in safe mode, it will force the 640x480. Then you can go into display and verify that it is reset. Ed Fair
unixstuff@juno.com
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

Don't think you can change resolution in DOS.

Try starting Windows then when it has started right-click on the desktop, and goto properties, or if you can't see it well, right-click and press "R", then click on the last tab, on that screen, then if you can see the little bar, move it all the way left. Then press Apply (it's the button furthest right at the very bottom.), then press ENTER, should work. And if you can't see all of the screen push ALT+SPACEBAR then "M" and use the arrow keys to move the window around, then push ENTER to actually move it.

Hope this helps!
colorado.gif

"Quest for the Cup - 2002!"
"Onto the 2[sup]nd[/sup] round!"

Oh ya, didn't think of that. Edfair is right.
colorado.gif

"Quest for the Cup - 2002!"
"Onto the 2[sup]nd[/sup] round!"

That worked guys, thanks to Ed Fair and Spyderix. When I booted to safe mode, (hit F8 after memory check in POST and selected 'Safe Mode'), the PC would chug away with lots of disk activity, then eventually go into Win 95 safe mode. When it did, a popup box stated a mouse was not detected. Maybe the mouse driver does not extend to real mode for a safe mode boot? Anyway, I clicked 'OK' and it finished booting to Win 95 safe mode. I was then able to navigate to Control Panel\Display\Settings using the keyboard, rebooted and it's fine at 640 X 480 display and the mouse was detected. FYI this PC has a 486/133 Mhz AMD motherboard with 48 MB 60ns SIMM memory. It's like a low end Pentium but in reality a really fast 486.

Thanks again!

Jpbgolf

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back