Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win 95 clients lose access to NT resources

Status
Not open for further replies.

annav

MIS
Jun 12, 1999
US
This problem surfaced this week after we renamed one of our NT 4.0 servers and added several print queues to the PDC. The renamed server in question was not sharing any resources (it's running Lotus Notes). The PDC was not changed in any way, except for adding the print queues. Users can log on fine, but after a while, they lose access to resources on the PDC. For example, if they try to get access to a print queue, they are asked for a password. They can enter their network password and presto! they get access again. This is also happening with drive mappings. User manager shows that the account is NOT locked out. Security log also shows no lock out. All 'shares' seem normal. Possible cause of problem : increased network traffic?<br>
<br>
Does any body have any ideas? <br>

If you have renamed the server, have you changed all the services to reflect this? Also how do the 95 clients see the server initially? Log on scripts? Unlikely to be print queues, more likely to be the name.<br>
<br>
Have you reloaded the latest service pack?

Thanks for the response Zelandakh. I tried reinstalling SP4 but no help. I also did all the shares and user permissions over again and checked the services. Any other ideas?

Did you delete the old computer account for the renamed server through Server Manager? Was the renamed server a BDC? It sounds like some kind of funky authentication problem or a domain synchronization problem. I would agree with Zel that it's connected to the name change and something somewhere is trying to reference the old name.<br>
<br>
Try searching the registry on one of the workstations in question for occurances of the old server name.

OK, I tried deleting the old account name. We resynched the domain - event viewer says it was successful. Searched the workstations' registry and deleted occurences of the old server name. Still no luck.<br>
<br>
My users can log in fine. However, I set up the audit tool and it shows that after a user logs on , a failure entry is made to the security log - it says 'Unknown username or bad password'. This is very puzzling, since the user does not have a problem logging on initially. It is only after a period of time, that he loses access to resources.<br>
<br>
It seems to me to be an authentication problem, but I don't know what else to try.<br>
<br>

If anyone is interested, we got the problem sorted out. Apparently the SAM or LSA databases got corrupted while we were renaming the server. I didn't have an up-to-date emergency repair diskette, so we had to recreate all our users with new names.<br>
<br>
So the lesson is : always keep an update emergency repair diskette.<br>
<br>
<br>

Just so people know that follow this thread all the way down to the resolution.<br>
<br>
1) when you run rdisk.exe make sure you add the /s command<br>
i.e.<br>
<br>
rdisk /s<br>
<br>
This will copy the entire SAM down to the floppy's and you will get EVERY account besides the administrators.<br>
Musher

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back