Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win 8 Laptop Computer Connects to Wi-Fi but Not to the Internet

Status
Not open for further replies.

bsquared18

Technical User
Jun 10, 2001
US
Hello,
I have an HP Pavilion g7-2233cl Laptop running Windows 8. I bought it new (refurbished) about a year and a half ago.

Until recently, I’ve had no problem connecting to the Internet via Wi-Fi. But recently, although everything says I’m connected to our home Wi-Fi and things are working swimmingly, I cannot access anything on the Internet. I get messages like “Unable to connect” or “Cannot show this page.”

We have other computers on the same Wi-Fi, and none of them is having a problem.

I’ve tried several remedies based on tips I’ve seen on the Internet (using a different computer, of course). For example, I:

Deleted all the temp files.

Flushed a bunch of stuff using the Admin. Command Prompt:
ipconfig /flushdns
nbtstat –R
nbtstat –RR
netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt
netsh winsock reset
Disabled Webroot.

Connected to the router via an Ethernet cable.

Tried System Restore to about a month earlier.

Any suggestions?
Bill

Hi,

I've reached my destination and am using our notebook computer to communicate.

My bad! I didn't realize I have both Webroot and Norton 360 on my computer--I thought that was on my desktop. I realize that having two third-party protection programs can cause problems.

Any recommendations on which to remove first--in other words, which to keep because it is the better of the two at protecting?

Also, can I just deactivate a program to test, or does it need to be uninstalled?

Thanks,
Bill

I refer you to my post of 12 Sep 14 16:22 concerning a Clean Boot. This is a way of stopping programs from starting when Windows loads.

I don't run either of the programs that your last post mentions. I'd probably get rid of both of them. My least favourite of the two would be Norton.

Hello again,

I really apologize for not realizing that I had two third-party protection programs running. If I had, I would have saved everyone a lot of time. I uninstalled Norton, and now I can get to the Internet, proved by the fact that I'm writing this note on my laptop (hurrah).

I'll keep Webroot unless other problems occur because it provides an added measure of protection, I feel.

Again, thanks for your support.

Bill

All's well that ends well, no apologies are needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back