Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win 7 System Recovery issue w/ HP Invent blue screen

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThatNewGuy

Technical User
Jan 19, 2007
US
Hello everyone,

I've run into a strange problem that I can't seem to resolve. I recently purchased a Compaq Presario with Windows 7 Home, then I upgraded to Professional to use it here at work. Thirty days after purchase the hard drive failed. HP recently sent me a new hard drive and the supplemental/system recovery discs.

I've followed all of the steps by swapping out hard drives and then running the system recovery process. Obviously I'm using the recovery discs to upload the OS, drivers, etc. on the blank drive so I can start from scratch. After finishing this process I'm prompted with a HP Invent blue screen that reads as follows:

DO NOT turn off your PC during this one-time setup process
Your PC restarts several times during this setup process.
Messages may pop up onto your screen. Ignore these messages until you are prompted to Restart or Shutdown your PC.

I left the machine over night and 15 hours later the HP Invent screen was still stalled out. I continued letting the machine sit for an additional 8 hours. All in all, the recovery process should not take close to 24 hours. At this point I restarted the machine. Windows 7 fully loads like normal and I receive an active Win 7 taskbar at the bottom of the screen. From here I can select programs, files, etc but my desktop still contains the annoying HP Invent blue screen warning me not to turn off the PC. When I select Ctrl, Alt, Delete the HP screen disappears and I have a fully functional machine again. The odd thing is when I restart the machine, the OS loads, and then my desktop pops up then the HP screen appears again. It's as if the HP screen over rides the desktop. All I have to do is press Ctrl, ALt, Delete to return the machine back to normal but a user shouldn't have to do this every time they reboot the machine. It's very annoying and not appropriate for a PC here at our office that will have numerous users.

I've contacted HP which was basically useless. Could anyone offer some help in getting rid of this extremely annoying HP Invent window? Any help would be greatly appreciated at this point.

I've resolved this issue I was having.

For anyone that might come across a similar problem in the future here's what I would suggest.

Go to msconfig in Windows 7. Select the Startup tab. In my case there was an item titled FullScreen. The command was labeled as follows: C:\hp\bin\flexbuild\FullScreen\launchFS.cmd. You can use this to verify the startup item. Uncheck the box if front of the FullScreen item in order to disable this. Select ok/apply and the problem should be fixed.

Well done on resolving yourself and good job posting your findings, it may just help others.
Bit concerned it left this behind but it may just have failed to delete that file. If all is working well with no quirky issues then everyones happy [smile]

I used to have a handle on life... but it broke. Cpt. Red Bull

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back