Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win 7 slow Welcome Screen at domain login

Status
Not open for further replies.

hpsait

Technical User
Oct 7, 2010
ZA
I have done some research on this topic, but cannot find a solution to the problem.

Checked DHCP server for errors
Assigned static IP addresses
Check event viewer for errors - See some DNS errors, but server team informed me that we dont have any DC/DNS server problems
Changed the binding order on client computers - LAN first
We have several sites on the domain, but it only seems that one site is experiencing the problem
Updated the firmware on Cisco switches and check if FastPort is enabled
DHCP is running on HyperV VM which is also the file server.
LAN connection takes several minutes to connect after login - about 3 - 5 mins
Valid network drives and network printers -- no login scripts just GPO's
Checked clients for Win startup processes - nothing unusual

I have the exact same problem at my workstation, an HP Compaq 8200 Elite Slim with Windows 7 Enterprise on a domain as well.

I do not know the solution to the problem, I'll just share my experience and the workaround I found by experimenting.

My workaround is to disconnect the LAN cable before pressing the power button and it lets me log in a lot faster.

I connect the LAN cable as soon as the desktop starts loading and everything (including network drives) loads up normally.

Group Policies needs to be applied at logon, but yes your workaround will work. Unfortunately I cannot do this for 100 plus users.

I have experienced a couple of situation that might have been similar to your slow bootup, but it was when we had a really slow network. Pushing out windows updates using WSUS users workstations would seem to be "hung or frozen" when windows was pushing out big updates. Users would think they were locked up and would power off and back on only to have the same thing happen until they managed to hose their machines really good turning them off and on repeatedly. The other was roaming profiles where users would get that delay because they were storing so much crap on their desktops and the replication caused them to think their machine was locked up again. May not be related to your situation, but they are a couple of things I would check.

Make sure the DNS setting on your clients (the only DNS server setting) is the domain controller IP address. That should fix it.

"Living tomorrow is everyone's sorrow.
Modern man's daydreams have turned into nightmares.

I'm using an internal DNS and external DNS. Our global server team confirmed that the local DNS/DC is working fine.
Settings configured on DHCP is correct.
I never had this problem before using the same hardware and config. I can only think that clients are not connecting to DHCP server in a certain timeframe. LAN and wifi connections on client machines just shows trying to connect for about 3 -5 mins after the Welcome which takes another 3 - 5 mins.
DHCP is configured on a virtual machine running Win 2008 server and the VM host server is Win 2012 DataCentre Core running Hyper V.
Other sites on the domain don't have these problems.
Cisco switches are configured with VLAN's.
We are not using roaming profiles and mapped network drives and network printers should not cause problems?
Clients do not have problems accessing files on LAN servers so I would rule out network problems. Network infrastructure is configured for 1 Gbps.

its generally DNS that causes a slow logon or mapped drives.

try asking to have your machine moved out of the OU that applies GPOs and restart and see if the problem exists.

ACSS - SME
General Geek

Removed the computer account from the OU. Welcome screen shows for about 45 seconds then loads the desktop. Then LAN connection shows blue circle trying to connect for another 20 seconds.

Then the track will be a GPO or some other start up script breaking it.

ACSS - SME
General Geek

This is the only error I see in system event log --- Name resolution for the name Our_domain.LOCAL timed out after none of the configured DNS servers responded.
Noticed that users also getting a black screen just with cursor showing for several seconds after Welcome Screen.

We don't use any startup scripts.

And this one --- The winlogon notification subscriber <GPClient> is taking long time to handle the notification event (Logon).

Please try my suggestion. Put JUST the IP address of the domain controller (and no second DNS server) into one of the clients experiencing the slow login. Reboot and see what happens. It's a DNS issue - $5 cyber bet.

Done that, but with the same results. It takes almost 2 mins before an user can start using their hardware after login.
Long Welcome Screen then black screen showing only cursor followed by LAN connection trying to connect.

Interesting fact is that I have not see this problem on Win 10 devices. Takes about 10 seconds to connect.

what does a Ping -a <<ipaddress of domain controller>>> give?? Correct IP address for server or not??

what about a tracert <<ipaddress of domain controller>>> Any strange results - multiple hops?

Have you checked to see if anything is being automatically started. On my machine I have a number of applications and my machine isn't usable for almost 60 seconds.

Bill
Lead Application Developer
New York State, USA

Do you get the same problem when you boot in Safe Mode with Networking?

I've also seen windows updates break windows logins too.

Have a look as see what was installed recently, and remove them one by one :)

ACSS - SME
General Geek

hpsait,

Did you ever find a solution from the above or elsewhere?

If not, one thing that has lately fixed a couple of odd issues of mine (not necessarily saying it'll work for this scenario) has been to remove the machine from the domain, and then add back.

"But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 Corinthians 15:57

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back