Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

win 7 easy trasnfer not connecting

Status
Not open for further replies.

robmazco

IS-IT--Management
Jan 24, 2008
US
So Ive been rolling out win 7 on laptops to our employees.
I connect with win 7 laptop to their win xp laptop (both 32 bit) and run easy transfer. Does a great job.
I can install the easy transfer stuff to a usb stick or right to the root of the c drive on old machine, either way works great on about a dozen machines.
But I now have a win 7 trying to connect to a win xp, it just keeps looking and not finding it. Ive tried from usb and the root of the old laptop, same results.
Both, like all others, are on our domain and all have same image. I can ping both, I can browse to either machine, etc. But easy transfer wont connect old to new laptop.

Ideas?

To get ready for the transfer process, connect both systems to your network. While WET will work over a wireless connection, it's a good idea to do the transfer over a wired one as it will generally provide a more reliable — and usually faster — link. If either of your systems is running a software firewall, be sure it's configured to allow file and print sharing, or temporarily disable the firewall while you do the transfer. You may also need to create a firewall exception for the WET program (the filename is migwiz.exe)."

Windows Easy Transfer Tutorial: New System, Meet Old Data
WET Takes the Pain Out of Setting Up a New System

310353 - How to Perform a Clean Boot in Windows XP

316434 - HOW TO: Perform Advanced Clean-Boot Troubleshooting in Windows XP

310560 - How to Troubleshoot By Using the Msconfig Utility in Windows XP

How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista or in Windows 7

oh well, it work on more machines.
I went old school and just copied over the 'important' stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back