Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win 2K User w/admin rights cannot update registry 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

phitc

Technical User
Jul 16, 2001
US
I setup a new Win 2K Professional Wokstation on a network with a domain. I added the workstation to the domain and added the user to the workstation with same ID and password.
The user can log into the domain or the workstaion without the domain fine. I added the user ID on the workstation to the admin group. The Workstation is NOT NTFS.
When installing software and doing different things, it seems that the user does not have admin permissions.
Cannot seem to figure what is blocking them. I have looked at the security in admin tools and have tried everything there but no luck....

You said you added the user to the admin group. Was that the admin group of the domain or the local PC? You need to look carefully to where you add the user when you do this. Since the PC is part of the domain you have a choice of where to add the permissions. Add them to domain or add them to local PC. Look again and see what it states. James Collins
Systems Support Engineer
A+, MCP

email: butchrecon@skyenet.net

Please let us (Tek-tips members) know if the solutions we provide are helpful to you. Not only do they help you but they may help others.

I have the same exact problem. I have entered the user in as a local administrator. When he logs into the domain he can not install progs. When he logs in locally he can, but has no network access.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Stephen

You need to create The user on the Win2K Pro PC as a DOMAIN user WITH local admin rights. Not as a local admin on the PC. When you go through the process choose the domain instead of the local name. Then give the doamin user local admin rights. If you need help ask. James Collins
Systems Support Engineer
A+, MCP

Please let us (Tek-tips members) know if the solutions we provide are helpful to you. Not only do they help you but they may help others.

No problem. Thats what we are here for. James Collins
Systems Support Engineer
A+, MCP

The way that I made it work was I removed the user from the domain and added her back in and all was Fine on her LOCAL PC. Of course se was a new user so removing her was not a problem

I have a user who is a Power User on her local W2K Pro machine and a Domain User on the W2K Server.

In this thread butchrecon suggested to create a Domain User for the client machine but I don't seem to have that option. All the groups I can choose from on the client machine are local an not referred at all to the domain.

How can I add the client to the Domain Users group.

Thanks in advance,

Marc

Marcllenas,

Domain users and local users are different entities (even if user name/password is the same). Your user should be able to log on to a machine with her domain user id/password. If the user needs to be a local power user, you will need to add his/her domian user to the local power users group. You can do this from user & passwords icon in Control Panel (You'll need the right level of local access to be able to do this). Click on Advanced tab then Advanced button. Click on Groups, then double click power users and click add button. You should be able to slect domain user id from list.
Hope this helps

Thanks wolluf,

I finally got it. The problem was that W2K Pro wasn't showing me the Domain User option on the list so I couldn't select it. I decided to start typing Domain User to see what options would give me and "voliá", there it was. A bit hidden and a bit different as I'm configuring a Spanish W2K and here it's called "Usuarios del dominio".

Thanks a lot.

Marc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back