Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

win 2k Setup locking up

Status
Not open for further replies.

LinkinPrk1981

Technical User
Dec 17, 2003
US
Here is the situation.
I was running a Dell Dimension 750XPT or something like that and for this x-mas i bought myself new stuff, case, motherboard, processor, and all that jazz... well i put it all in the new case, i kept my HD's CD-roms, video card (Nvidia GeForce 3 Ti 200)... good news is that i got it to finally see my CD rom drives and both HD's in my bios.. which is good... bad thing is that when i went and re-installed win 2k, my computer only started up about 95% of the way and froze, and could only be restarted in safemode... so i went thru and tried to downlaod all drivers and patches and all that jazz in safe mode plus networking... and still freezes.... so i decided that since all my programs installed probably wouldnt work anyways since the registry was gone, i would just format and start fresh... it installs windows 2000 fine, but when it goes into setup to start installing some of the basic drivers before it ask you for CD key and your personal info, it freezes at 45% thru. locks up whole computer and i have to restart.. ive tried to format again, reinstall 2-3 times, try doing a repair... nothing works... any suggestions, since i dont have another Win 2k disk to my knowledge... (atleast none of the discs i have marked as a win 2k pro boot up) so i dont know if i have a bum disc or what... i might have loaded my last copy from my frinds disc (which was that dell specific one...) i guess maybe a new disc might be worth a shot.. but who knows...... anyone else that is reading this can put in their 2 cents... right now im working off 1 of the other many comps in my house which is pretty ghetto so i wont be on it 24/7 checking the boards....

sounds like hardware issue - whether bad hardware or not all components compatible..

I'd suggest installing with a minimal hardware set (remove or turn off in bios any network/sound/modem cards. If more than 1 stick RAM, try with each on its own. disconnect any CD/DVD burner or zip drives) and try again. If ok, put things back one at a time. If not, swap out graphics card if you can. If still no good, post back - I'm sure you'll get more suggestions.

here is a small update... i grabbed... 98SE disk and so far so good.. it starts up to the desktop... grated i unplugged my other HD since it is my 80 gig with all my real data on that is NTFS format and well that wont work with 98 and no way am i formatting it... anywho im guessing now that it is my disk potentially... im going to go about updateing 98 and see how far i get before lock ups occur...

I had a similar problem, i found that it was a modem i had installed. One option is install windoes with the minimun hardware possible, video, cd, hdd, keyb, mouse; then install the other hardware pieces one at a time AFTER windows in fully installed and let it detect them that way

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every moment of it.

it was my sound card... there is something conflicting between it and my onboard the motherboard came with... if i start up computer with card in, it freezes... so right now im running off of on board sound :(... but alteast its sound

You shousl be able to disable the onboard audio in the bIOS then install your after market card. By disabling it in the bios it is supposed to free up the recources needed by the add-in card

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every moment of it.

Tried that.. i went into the peripherals in teh bios and diables audio AC'97...

Try as well under Device Manager Disabling (not Uninstalling) the onboard sound.
Then try your sound board again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back