Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win 2K Server hardware recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bobot

MIS
Jan 11, 2002
US
Any recommendations on hardware manufacturers/models for setting up a new Windows 2K Server? I'm talking maybe 2-5 clients initially, not growing too much for this project in the foreseeable future. We will probably run SQL Server and Access applications.

Instead of building a machines from scratch, does anyone have good success with IBM servers or HP, etc for a reliable, easily maintainable, integrated, and upgradeable Win 2K hardware platform?

Please suggest any backup strategies and related hardware and software as well.

Thanks all!

- Bob

Bobot;

All of our DC's are Compaq Proliants (11 of them). We have had nothing but good service from them. I have purchased 3 servers in the last 12 months two 2.4GHz Xeon Compaq ML530 G2's, and one 1GHz Xeon Compaq ML530. I like the G2's better. As equipted to my spec's they have cost between $13k-$15k. For your small enviroment this may be a little pricey, but they are great servers.

As for Backup's we use Backup Exec 8.6. We perform daily Full backups, during the week Mon-Fri, with a 10 tape rotation. We also perform Monthly Full Backups to be retained for 24 months. Backup media in our organization runs from DAT to SDLT.

We also have a few member/application servers that are "Clones". It cost me about $1500.00 to build a server with Mirrored HD's, and Tape Backup (DDS4). This is a low cost method to deploy "Lite" servers when you need one such as (INSQL Servers). I hope this helps you a little.

We purchased a new Dell 4600 about 5 months ago and I would purchase another Dell in a heartbeat. The server has been EXTREMELY stable (for Win2K). For just under 10K (again a bit pricey for just a few people) I had it configured with dual 2.2 MHz Xeons, 1 GB RAM, 4 - 36 GB Drives configured with RAID5, redundant power supplies and a 40/80 DLT1 backup drive, and misc other specs.

We also use Backup Exec and have had no real problems with it or our backups. Fairly easy to learn and to get up and doing backup quickly.

Also, it's sometimes better to go with a reputable company because they (hopefully) test out the components and allow their servers to "evolve" replacing parts that don't work well together or don't last as long as they should. When a person or company tinkers with building servers you could find yourself with a minor problem that irritates you more than it works. But this doesn't knock those who truly understand server components and have the time and resources to build a good server.

Anyone like any of the IBM's? I recall they had a line called eServers or something.

I don't think I need dual processors or dual nic's, but a gig of memory would be nice and definitely something to do with RAID wold help.

Right now I always install (2) drives and do mirroring through the OS. Tell me about a better RAID solution, how many drives it requires, and how you handle a failed drive from a hardware and software standpoint.

Also, should I go with a tape drive for backup or something like NAS?

Any comments/suggestions appreciated!

Thanks

- Bob

Did anyone mention Dell yet? What are your thoughts on a Dell server?

- Bob

Oh yeah - hehe. Sorry - I was thinking that was the Compaq description.

I'm thinking Dell or IBM, but need to compare specs, prices, and support on both.

If you only have 2-5 clients have you thought of a peer server? why spend the extra money on 2000 server when you can get what you need from 2000 or xp?

I don't have any IBM experience, at least in a Wintel enviroment, but if those servers are anywhere as good as some of their higher end AIX stuff I don't think you can go wrong, but that's a big if.

Past that I've been using Dell servers for the past 5 years and I have not yet had a complaint, they are dead on reliable hardware wise, and out of those 5 years and probably a dozen or so servers in various companies I've only had one problem where a machine locked up and wouldn't boot, spent 15 minutes on the phone with Dell and the problem was solved, past that I've had zero hardware issues. Also, check out their "refurb" side, I recently purchased a couple of servers from there to give them a shot and I have to give them the same high remarks, and there are some REAL deals to be found on there, and you can get the same level of service on those as well (say a 3yr/4hr onsite contract), for instance the last one I bought was a dual 1.2Ghz, 1GB RAM, 4x18GB RAID setup, 20GB DAT tape backup in a 2U rack setup for around $3k (this was about 5 months ago, so adjust price accordingly).

As to how much server you need, well with 2-5 clients and not much exapansion I don't think you can buy a low enough end machine to cover that. I've seen 40 client networks run off a single 500Mhz server with 512MB RAM with no issues at all, other than the disaster side of it (machine fails, you could lose the AD and then you start over). If the applications are small, I'd seriously consider getting 2 low end servers, first would handle AD and be the master, it would also do the regular stuff like DHCP, WINS if you need it, and maybe some file storage - the second machine I would run as your SQL machine and the second DC in the domain. Here you could get away with two $2-3k machines instead of single higher end machine and have a little safe AD enviroment.

Andrew

Andrew -

Thanks so much for the info! I'm leaning towards Dell right now from everyone's comments, and yours helped out in that arena.

I like the idea of 2 servers for mission critical, but I think I'll be *told* to go with one. I do want to configure it with RAID, tape backup, and have a quick repair turnaround so I'll have to check out all that stuff at the Dell website. I have to learn a little about how Dell configures and implements RAID...hot-swapping would be nice but as long as the thing can recover and rebuild the new drive, hot swap is not critical in my environment.

Thanks again!

- Bob

Well it's not even so much as "mission critical", but if something happens to the one machine and you lose the AD, then every client is going to feel the effects in one way or the other. It helps to know the budget obviously, if you only have like $4k for a machine, then getting two machines would be tough. But given say $6-8k I bet you could squeeze them through.

On the RAID setup, I don't know how hard the process is to rebuild when a drive fails, I'm going to have to experiment with that one of these days, but I believe all the controllers are in some way shape or form made by Adaptec, so if you're familiar with their rebuild, then I imagine it would be the same, but don't hold me to it. As to hot swap bays, I think they are pretty much standard on the Dell's, some of the servers have various configurations for the backplane, but I believe it's all hot swap.

Andrew

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back