Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win 2k server (domain controller) unable to connect to internet via ro

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bobnz

IS-IT--Management
Aug 19, 2002
NZ
Hi, I have a small test network with one server running win 2k server. The server is a domain controller, the server cannot access the internet via the router ( dynalink RTA300 ). Yet users on the local machines can when logged on locally or on the domain.
I have limited networking experience which is the reason for the test network.

Any help appreciated.

B

How so you have the networks setup? (ip addresses/subnets). What are the gateways and DNS servers for both networks.

router ,server and local pc's connected to switch. server is dhcp not router.
router is gateway and is set in scope(192.168.1.1) I can ping router and local and outside ip's but not urls. Leads me to think it might be dns issue.

dns, dhcp and domain controller all same server.

B

within tcp/ip properties, try setting the preferred dns server setting to it's own ip address if you havent' already.

Thanks for the replies. have sorted it out, the server was setup as a root server therefore couldn't do forwarding in the DNS. Once I removed the "." (root) zone I was able to setup forwarding and evrything was AOK.

B

Hey I have came across the same issue. I am using a DI-704P Dlink router (192.168.0.1). After installing the DHCP to make the test server a DHCP Server my internet no longer connects. Can anyone point me to a step by stepper or gimmie a quick work around?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back