Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

WIN 2K Problem Machine(s) Log-on

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlackS2

MIS
Jul 7, 2003
GB
Hi,

I have a problem with two of our machines. Basically A user uses a desktop PC and also a laptop. Both machines are configured to have the same I.P address and also network name as they are not used at the same time. I am having trouble with the machines trying to figure out why one log's on then log's out ok, then the next time it wont log in. Error message below. All help/suggestions MUCH appriciated!!!

Error:

"The system cannot log you on to this domain because the system's computer account in its primary domain is missing or the password on that account is incorrect".

The first thing I'd try is giving them different IPs and hostnames. Whether they're not on at the same time or not, I wouldn't think it a good idea to have that....

Thanks,

Matt Wray
MCSE, MCSA, MCP, CCNA

Matt,

The reason for the machines sharing the same I.P is to cut down on the amount of "spare" I.P's we have on our network. As the user uses the laptop maybe once a week and maybe twice a month to upload files from laptop to the network we dont see the need to obtain a whole seperate I.P. However you are right this would solve the problem I am having but there must be another way around it as it did used to work (before I joined the company) and sinse then the machine has been updated (originally 98) to WIN 2K and have had no end of problems sinse.

Can anyone else help? Any ways of obtaining the same I.P address on both machines and not having the above problem? Cheers.

So are both laptop & desktop 2k machines? If so, I think you may have a SID problem (or identification of some kind), because you have 2 machines with the same name but different SIDs attempting to belong to the domain. So try giving them different names - ie, just change name of one of them (same IP address shouldn't matter if not used at the same time).

PS. Is this setup in common usage at you company ('saving' an IP address by sharing it between laptop & desktop for same user)? Does this mean all your machines have static IP addresses? If so, doesn't that create an administrative overhead? (are you using 'private' IP address range for domain machines?)

Yes, both machines are now WIN 2K. We use IP addresses that are specified to us. We dont use DHCP on our network. Ok, so maybe if I change the computer name and maintain the same network settings I can get by this problem. Cheers for your help.

Regardless of machine name, you cannot have the same IP address on two machines on the same network at the same time. DHCP will save you, as you might not need as many addresses as with static (not everyone logged in all day every day).

Newposter
"Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment."

Newposter,

The two machines are NOT on the network at the same time. They have the same I.P configuration but are not connected to the network at the same time as the user shares a wall socket with her desktop machine! However the way she does things is to log out of her machine and switch the cable over to her laptop (pre booted) and log in. Sometimes it will work straight away sometimes not. Surely the DC should think she is just logging out of her main machine and logging straight back in (but she will be logging in on the laptop) Make sense ?

Cheers.

Try maybe PC is out of Domain, try to rejoin it to domain,it should work.

alfa21.

Yes, this does cure the problem changing the domain to a workgroup, re booting and then again back to the domain. However I cannot expect the user to keep doing this everytime they want to use the laptop on the network. It is a bit annoying. Plus they need administrator rights which I cannot give them or the admin password.

Anyone else?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back