Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

win 2k printer installation

Status
Not open for further replies.

quats

Technical User
Sep 8, 2002
US
I just installed win 2k server for 750 users. when each user tries to print they must install the appropriate network printer on each local they use. i am not using roaming profiles. does anyone know how i can assign the appropriate default printer to each local? i've logged on as local machine adm and installed. i've also created computers OU's to try and put the policy there.
thanks, santo

you could create a logon script to maps the printer when the user logons on.

hth

thanks for the info. i will try to find a sample script.
santo

I think it would be a script like this
net use lpt1 \\printerserver\printer share name

Then you can setup your AD to run that on the machine on boot up or I guess you could set it up to load when the user logs on.

Is this done in the Domain Group Policy? Eddie Martin
Network Support Technician

Email: Eddie@digitechcomputer.com

**Don't forget to mark post helpful if it helps to answer your question. It may come in handy for others as well**

thanks for solutions. i have also found that assigning a static ip to the printer and then installing it as a local and adding the tcp/ip port with the correct ip address works too. does anyone see any potential problems with this solution? again, thanks
santo

Thats the way I do my network printers they are all local on the server with an custom TCP/IP port. Then you just share them to your users.

MetsFan I am not 100% on this I would have to just try it and see but I think you can do it for each users in the user properties or you could set it up under group policy as a long on script. If anyone knows for certain please let us know :)

Please allow me to jump in. I am having a similar problem with an HP 2200 - How do I assign it a static IP address?

"It's more like it is now, than it ever has been."

danomaniac-

I believe you can set the static IP on the front panel of the printer, or you could download HP Jet Admin. HP Jet Admin allows you to do many things besides assigning IP's.

Thanks.
I'll download it.

"It's more like it is now, than it ever has been."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back