Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win 2k not booting

Status
Not open for further replies.

praise2him

Technical User
Aug 22, 2003
US
Hi,
I have been having a problem booting my computer. When it tries to start it just loops through the boot screen and starts over. I downloaded the set of 6 floppy's plus the win 2000 recovery download. Attempted to boot w/ floppy but all it says is "disk I/O error" on a dos screen.

I also tried to boot from the win 2000 CD and got this error at the setup screen:

"INF file txtsetup.sif is corrupt or missing. Setup cannot continue. Press any key to exit".

doesn't sound to good. :(

Any help greatly appreciated,

Does it boot from your windows 2000 cd for a while? If not try a diffrent disc as it could be your source cd that is corrupted.

You should also check your hard drive for errors, your manufacturer of the drive should have a tool that you can download that will let you check the disk for errors.

Altho by the sounds of it your floppy drive doesn't seem to be working ok either, try changing cables see if it makes any diffrence the disk check tool will create 1-2 floppy disks that you should boot from. Or replace the floppy drive with one that you know that works.

If the drive checks out ok try installing with a diffrent windows cd.

bofhrevenge2,
I tried safe mode it won't boot there either.

Jump1ng,
The win2k cd is ok I tried it in another system. As far as I know the hard drive is fine and the floppy drive was working well previous to this problem.

More info,
I was using System Mechanic to clean up a little, which I have used sevberal times in the past. I don't know if something got tweaked in the registry. Just don't understand the "INF file txtsetup.sif is corrupt or missing"
error or the "disk I/O error".
Thanks

It is odd, i've seen the txtsetup.sif error before when booting from the floppys but copying it from the CD back to the floppy solved the problem.

I would try to create the Win2k boot floppys from the Win2k CD if you can acess another PC.

Insert the Windows 2000 CD-ROM in the CD-ROM drive.
Click Start, and then click Run.
In the Open box, type drive:\bootdisk\makeboot a:, where drive is the letter of your CD-ROM drive, and then press ENTER.

Try restoring the last backup of your system-partition, you surely created not too long ago.
(Although there are rumours ppl still go through computerlife without backups! Can you believe that?)

Does your computer boot from a DOS-diskette anyway?
And when it does, can you access the harddisk?

Hi pangolin,
Try restoring the last backup of your system-partition, you surely created not too long ago.
(Although there are rumours ppl still go through computerlife without backups! Can you believe that?)

Actually I have 2 hard drives on my system. 1 20 gig and the other 80 gig. I use the 20 for OS's and the 80 for storage of all important files, docs, pics, addy's, etc. What I am trying to do is figure this out so I know how to deal with it next time if it occurs.

As far as the DOS-diskette I never had much experience with DOS so any help would be appreciated,
Thanks for your replys,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back