Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win 2k backup problems 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

hoinvip

MIS
Nov 16, 2001
GB
Hello,

We're running a win2k server and using the win2k backup program to save our data daily to a 4mm DAT drive.

We want to use a rolling cycle of 7 tapes, one for each day, and to overwrite the data on the tapes without checking when they need to be re-used.

However, win2k seems to have other ideas and keeps complaining that the wrong media is in the drive or the backup fails to run without giving a reason.

Has anyone else had this problem? And if you have, do you have any suggestions that may help me?

Many thanks,

Peter

Did you try COPY method of backups scheduled for every day? Configure backup NOT to append rather "Replace the data on the media with this backup".

??? Joseph L. Poandl
MCSE 2000

If your company is in need of experts to examine technical problems/solutions, please check out

Hi,
I am currently looking for the very same backup solution. I was told to check out ref 2265. I have not been successful yet. Maybe if you find a way you will tell me and vv

Regards

Your tapes need to be "registered" into the media pool. In Computer Management - Removable Storage - 4mm - Free (or something close), there is a list of tapes the backup process can access.

Insert each tape and perform any kind of backup on it and it should appear in the "Unrecognised" ??? pool. To move a tape into the "Free" pool so it can be accessed, right-click on the tape and select "Deactivate" then "Prepare".

Hope that helps.

No such luck I'm afraid! I keep getting an error message back telling me that my tapes are write protected, even though they're not.... does anyone have any ideas on this please?

I've subsequently been testing this and have found that a number of my tapes, when inserted, come back as unknown media. They've worked once, but now the system cannot recognise them as 4mm DDS tapes.

I've tried deleting them from all media pools, offline storage and then reinserting but it doesn't work.

I did seem to have some luck with some of them - they were recognised and added to the free/4mmDDS pool but when they were reinserted and I try running a backup on them, they are not unused media!?!?

Anyone got any suggestions?

I have had the same problem with some of my tapes being classified as "unknown media". Did you find a fix for this problem?

Beleive me, after months of failed back-up and general problem I spent some money on the win2k Back-up Exec version and an external DLT tape drive... The best investement EVER!
It doesn't give you a solution, I am sorry but I had the same problem.

If you haven't already, check out Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 267574.

I know this is an ancient post but i found a work around for this "unknown media" problem in nt backup. I'm using a sony sdt-7000 and 4mm DDS tapes and have had nothing but problems getting my media recognized! I was pulling out hair, then I came across the sony website where they have a tape drive utility which i used for erasing my tapes. I tried this and walla! nt backup now recognizes my media.
hope this helps someone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back