Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win 2K & Win media player 7.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmtjet

Technical User
Jun 2, 2001
US
I found a site where I can D/L Windows media player 7.1. Is 7.1 compatible with Win 2K Pro.? The site says Win 98. I had bad luck with Windows Media Player 9, so I'm looking to an earlier(and more stable) version. Thanks.

Yes ! I was running Media Player 7.1 for about 6 months with no problems with 2000 Pro, I've now upgraded to Media Player 9.0 & again apart from once giving me an error message this has now been successfully running for about a month. I use Media Player every day to view video clips, you may need to find & download codecs for 7.1 if you are planning to do similar.

I had problem with the newer version. I lost my CD-stations. Both DVD and burner. It was so serious, I had to reinstall Win2KPro and everything else. I don't know what did the bad trick, but I installed the v.7.1 again and everything is fine.

Thanks for the replies. I'm going to install version 7.1.

To resolve the compatibility issue with Media Player and windows 2000 all you have to do is change the permission on a file called "wmplibrary*.db". this file is located under the all users profile. so the path in most cases is c:\documents and setting\all users\application data\microsoft\media index\wmplibrary*.db just give the USERS group full permission to the wmplibrary*.db file. This issue has been documented by microsoft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back