Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win 2K Advanced Server as Domain Controller slow to boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

grantwilliams

Programmer
Sep 8, 2003
AU
Hi All,

I've just finished setting up (for the second time in two days) Win 2k Advanced Server. Prior to setting up Active Directory on this server, it was taking no longer than a minute to boot to the login screen, however after setting up Active Directory, it is now taking 10 minutes to boot to the login screen. Most of this time is spent at the "Preparing Network Connections" screen.

When I open the event viewer, I have the following messages:

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Service Control Manager
Event Category: None
Event ID: 7024
Date: 5/09/2004
Time: 22:39:24
User: N/A
Computer: GRANT
Description:
The Messenger service terminated with service-specific error 2119.

Event Type: Error
Event Source: w32time
Event ID: 62
Time: 22:39:43
Description:
This Machine is a PDC of the domain at the root of the forest. Configure to sync from External time source using the net command, 'net time /setsntp:<server name>'.
Data:
0000: e5 03 00 00 å...

Event Type: Warning
Event Source: w32time
Event ID: 54
Time: 22:39:43
Description:
The Windows Time Service was not able to find a Domain Controller. A time and date update was not possible.
Data:
0000: e5 03 00 00 å...

Event Type: Warning
Event Source: NETLOGON
Event ID: 5781
Time: 22:39:44
Description:
Dynamic registration or deregistration of one or more DNS records failed because no DNS servers are available.
Data:
0000: b4 05 00 00 ´...

Some info about the server/network:

-The server is the only machine named GRANT and is the sole domain controller for the domain CENTRAL
-The network contains the server, 2 Win XP Pro PC's and one Win 98SE PC (soon to be Win2K Pro). None of these other PC's is currently a member of the domain.
-There is an ADSL Modem/Router with inbuilt DHCP server.

Once the server boots, I have no problems. I am able to ping all machines and have fast network access to shared folders. The only thing I can think of is that as a newbie to Win2K Server, I've missed a step (or several) in all of this.

Does anyone have any idea what's causing:
a) the server to be slow on booting;
b) messenger service to terminate (and yes, I've checked the identity of the server AND enabled Netbios over TCP/IP); and
c) W32Time to not be able to authenticate the time?

Thanks!

Grant

UPDATE:

I ran SP4 and this seems to have improved things quite a lot. I can now shut down and restart back to the login screen in under 3 minutes.

I ran 'net time /querysntp' and found that I had a typo in the time server. Have since corrected this problem.

The messenger service error still exists.

Once you install AD it boggs down the server on startup. The messenger service that you see may be to do with the lack of other naming servers in your network. If the AD is the naming server, most likely wins relatd error, then soon after the server is running and WINS or DNS is functioning then the error should stop.

Making a server a domain controller should not slow it down very much. Hanging on preparing network connections, along with the netlogon error tells me you have DNS problems.

It's possible there was just a timing error between the DNS server and netlogon services, and that may have been fixed with SP4. To be sure though, you should run a netdiag /v on the server.

Also, make sure the server is pointing to itself for primary DNS, and secondary DNS is blank (unless there is another domain controller). Also make sure dynamic updates are enabled on your forward zone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back