Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win 2003K SE SP1 1-DC 1-AD Chage domain name.

Status
Not open for further replies.

derekwit

Technical User
May 19, 2001
I have a small company with about 8 pc's that log into our current domain. We are running Window Server 2003 standard Edition SP1. The company has just been bought by another company and new management wants the domain named changed on the server. I know enough to be dangerous but not sure what is the best way to tackle this monster. I tried to run the domain rename tool on Microsoft's website but that did not work. I think it may be because there is only 1 DC and 1 AD. What is the easiest way to get this accomplised. If I manually take everybody out on the domain then demote the DC and setup new DC premote it would that work. I need somebody who can help me out with a step by step plan. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

so you followed the step-by-step guide on this website....along the right side of page...and it still did not work? Did you get an error>?

Is your 2003 domain at the full functional leverl of Windows Server 2003?
Reference:
• Forest functionality: You can rename domains only in a forest where all of the domain controllers are running Microsoft® Windows® .Server 2003 Standard Edition, Microsoft® Windows® Server 2003 Enterprise Edition, or Microsoft® Windows® Server 2003 Datacenter Edition operating systems, and the Active Directory forest functional level has been raised to Windows Server 2003

How can I check if full functional level of Windows Server 2003?

Yes I just checked the domain is acting at its highest functioning level.

Well read through the Word Document on that link and see what other requirements your may be lacking.

Are you the Enterprise Admin?

Yes I am an Enterprise Admin

This is the error I get when I run Redom.exe

The Behavior version of the Forest is 0 it must be 2 or greater to perform a dom
ain rename: The server is unwilling to process the request. :8245

Page 28 starts the "Step-byStep" you are looking for.

The "Forest" level needs to be Windows Server 2003

here is a doc to check just in case

When I when I do the rendom /upload the dclist.xml file still contains the old domain name. Any suggestions

I have tried this over and over. I run a rendom /list I edit the domain.xml "which has the name of the old domain" I change it to the new domain name save and close. I then do a rendom /show forest everything is correct. I then do a rendom /upload successful. Goto dclist.xml and it shows the old domain everytime. Can anybody tell me if I am missing something?

Which step are you at in the step by step guide that Techymcse2k posted a link to?

Paul
MCSE 2003
MCSA 2003
MCITP Enterprise Administrator

If there are no stupid questions, then what kind of questions do stupid people ask? Do they get smart just in time to ask questions?
Scott Adams

STEP 5: Generate Domain Rename Instructions

dclist.xml is a state files that tracks the process of the domain rename, as in is the dc at a prepared state or done state. Domainlist.xlm is the file used to set your new domain name, which you say you have already edited for your needs.
If you look at the documentation you will see that they are renaming a domain called cohovineyard.com to cohowinery.com and in step 5 the example dclist.xml shows the domain controllers as dc1.cohovineyard.com.

Also at step 5 you have not really done anything yet, merely uploaded your new info to active directory, you have not told the rename procedure to actually perform the rename yet, you do that with the rendom /execute.

I hope you are practicing this procedure on a test environment first?? And that you have read the 'understanding the domain rename process' documentation as well so you know what is going on during the procedure.

Paul
MCSE 2003
MCSA 2003
MCITP Enterprise Administrator

If there are no stupid questions, then what kind of questions do stupid people ask? Do they get smart just in time to ask questions?
Scott Adams

I am trying to to use the repadmin tool but I keeping getting this error: Note: Most commands take their parameters in the order of "Destination or Target
DC_LIST",
then a "Soure DC_NAME" if required, and finally the NC or Object DN if req
uired.

DC_LIST or DC_NAME is the proper DNS or NetBios name of a DC, for more opt
ions see
repadmin /listhelp.
<Dest DC>, <Source DC>, <DC> : Names of the appropriate servers
<Naming Context> is the Distinguished Name of the root of the NC
Example: DC=My-Domain,DC=Microsoft,DC=Com
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Domain Rename Tools>repadmin/syncall/d/e/P/q/ local.wepackit.com DC=wepackit,DC=com
Usage: repadmin <cmd> <args> [/u:{domain\\user}] [/pw:{password|*}][/rpc] [/ldap][/csv] - see /csvhelp

What am I doing wrong?

repadmin/syncall/d/e/P/q/ local.wepackit.com DC=wepackit,DC=com

If you only have one server, do you really need to do this command to synchronize your domain?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back