Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win 2003 server VPN config

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaptRage61

Programmer
Feb 17, 2005
US
Currently I have my windows 2003 server configured to accept VPN connections. I have a laptop with Win XP Home...I know pro would be better but this is all I have. I am able to create a new VPN network connection on my laptop. When I launch it and enter the ip address of my server at home I am able to connect, so I know I am connected to the server and I have been assigned an IP address by my server. My question is "now what". What I would like to happen is have it like I am connected directly on my home network so I can just enter a computer name in the run or address bar and have it connect, ex: \\myserver. Right now it is not really doing anything, I am connected but I can't view any of my computers info, or see my home network. Any ideas on what to do now? Thanks.

So, just to clarify ... on your laptop you want to enter \\myserver\myshare or do you want to enter \\mylaptop\myshare on your server (through RDP)? Either way it should work fine - although if you want to do this on the server then you may have to use the IP address of your laptop rather than the hostname as I'm guessing that your DNS server won't have a record for your laptop because of it not being joined to your domain.

Irish Poetry - Karen O'Connor
Get your Irish Poetry Published
Garten und Landschaftsbau

I want to be able to use my laptop on the go and VPN into my server. On my laptop I want to be able to enter \\myserver\myshare (or any other computers on the network). I would also like to be able to browse my network via My Network places, and RDP into any computer on my network by just entering in the computer name.

FYI-I am also not able enter just local ip addresses of my network computers to connect to them.

I have determined that when I am connected I am using the internet connection of my server, and not the connection that my laptop is on. But I am still not able to connect to any computers on my network...any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back