Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win 2003 server Arcserve backup

Status
Not open for further replies.

probeselector

IS-IT--Management
Apr 24, 2003
US
I just installed Dell 2650 blade server, Win 2003 server, Arcserve 11, Hp vs80 tape drive, 39160 scisi card. Backup is so slow 6mb per minute. Any ideas would be appreaciated.

VS80 can do 3-6 MB/Sec so your transfer rates are indeed very slow.
- Checked firmware VS80 and SCSI driver versions ??
- What kind of data ??
- Any Dynamic volumes on Windows machine ??
- Dedicated SCSI controller with only VS80 attached ??
- Any error messages in Windows Event logd / ARCserve logs ??

also check David Michel's faqs on tape hardware on this forumsite

regards

After looking around i found that i do not have the Win 2003 server driver installed for 39160 card. Will install this week.
The data is all contents of c and d. I can backup to disk with approx. 150 mb min. Took 6 hours to backup 4gb to tape.
No dynamic volumes and no errors in event log.
Dedicated adaptec 39160 scsi card. Server has raid 5 , 3 73 gb scsi drives on seperate controller.

What is the throughput for C:?
What is the throughput for D:?
What is the throughput for a remote volume?
BTW only full backups count, inrimental and differential throughputs can not be considered.

I did a full backup using the backup wizard the first time and was averaging 6mb per minute.

BTW Thank you guys very much for responding. I have a similar setup at another company, Dell 2650, Win 2000 server, Arcserve 9, Hp dltvs89e drive, average is 100-120 mb per minute.

So what? Not geting where you are comming from. Want to help me or not?

Three questions where asked, requesting the throughput for three different targets. None of the questions where answered and instead data previously supplied was supplied again.

Its obvious that i do not understand the question. What do you mean by throughput?

Rather than explain it all again, please just read
How to Troubleshoot poor performance faq478-4685

Thanks for the info. I will be on site in a few days to troubleshoot. I failed to mention that i moved the tape drive cable to the other connection on the 39160 and ran the scsi utility and the drive did not show up. Moved it back and it showed device id 6. Do ya think that means anything?

First thing that comes to mind is that all that was done is just what was recorded above, namely that it was moved and not that the system was restarted. A restart is necessary for a change on the SCSI bus to be reflected. Also it is mentioned that when it was moved back it was on ID 6. Was that mentioned because it was a different ID before?

In general the quality of help = the quality of data provided.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back