Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win 2003 Logon Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

leegregory

Technical User
Mar 5, 2002
GB
Hello.

I have built a test domain called home.local using win2003 sp1 from the MSDN collection.

I have setup server 1 as DC1 and server 2 as DC2.

Both are domain controllers and both are catalogue servers.

I am running DHCP from my Cable router (dhcp scope 192.168.0.2 to 192.168.0.5 for PC's and printers.

The two servers have Static ip's of 192.168.0.7 and 192.168.0.8.

I can ping all PC and servers from each other by name and IP address.

I have set-up Exchange 2003 on one DC1 ( only a test don't forget, the real set-up will be on different servers).

Once both servers are active i create new user, User1 with domain admin priviledges and set-up the exchange mailbox.

I then add the laptop onto the network and authenticate it, reboot and login no problem.

When i try and run Active Domain users and Computers from the laptop it says that the domain does not exist or cannot be located and i need to browse for another domain or connect to a domain controller. When i connect to the domain controller it says that the controller in oin domain home.local do you want to administer the domain home.local using domain controller DC1. Wheni select yes, bingo i can then administer the domain.

Also when i try and connect to the Exchange server DC1 it says it cannot find the username.

Any ideas what i have done wrong?

I think it may be a DNS problem but i don't know where to start.

Sounds like DNS to me also. Start here. The first DC you set up in the domain is most likely your DNS server. Make sure both DC's are pointing to that address as their primary DNS in the TCP/IP settings. Remove any ISP DNS servers. Now make sure all PC's have the IP Address of the DC as their primary DNS server. If this is being given out by DHCP, make sure it is configured correctly to assign the primary DNS server of the DC. Most likely 192.168.0.7 in your case.

DNS Configuration:

Set server NIC to point to itself for DNS, no ISP DNS goes here.

Set DNS options in DHCP to hand out your server IP

In the DNS snap-in, on the forwarders tab, add your ISP DNS.

If you wish to run ADUC on the laptop, you must also install the Exchange System Tools if you want to see mail properties. Likewise, install the Exchange tools on DC2.

I hope you find this post helpful.

Regards,

Mark

Check out my scripting solutions at

Thanks guys.

Got some things to try tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back