Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win 2000 vs. XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

sheronne

Programmer
Jun 1, 2001
US
I created an APP on my XP Pro dev. machine using VFP 8.0. I have had some problem though running it on Win2000.

1) The first time I fired the app up on Win2000, I got a data mismatch error and I finally traced it down to XP saw the field as a CHARACTER Win 2000 as a NUMERIC.

2) A simple SELECT statement (SELECT * FROM recpt_messages) works on my XP machine, but does not work on my Win 2000 machine.

Is there something I need to do to the 2000 machine or should it work this way?

Danke

Are you sure you have the same environment, paths, etc. the same on both machines?
Is there test data or directories on one machine that have different structures?
I have had no problems developing on XP and running on 200 or vice-versa.

-Dave S.-
[cheers]
Even more Fox stuff at:

Concur with Dave - I have worked quite a bit with both and have never experienced a SQL Select problem. May be a path issue.

I have, however, had problems getting some controls registerd on 2000.

Jim Osieczonek
Delta Business Group, LLC

I agree with Dave and Jim. I've run VFP 8 extensively on Windows 2000 and XP, and I've never had a problem like this.

Could you give us more detail about the error? What is the SELECT statement you're running?

-BP (Barbara Peisch)

I am using the same SQL Database as the dev. environment. The perplexing thing is that it is the SIMPLEST select statement in my entire application. The statement is literally SELECT * FROM recpt_messages. It works fine on XP, but will not work on the Win 2000 machine.

Also #1, the differences in the fields, I finally wrote a catch in the app to display the field types in a messagebox and low and behold, the XP machine returned the fourth field as CHARACTER and the Win2000 Machine returned the fourth field as NUMERIC. Both were using the same data.

I too thought I could easily develop on XP and run on W2K but was quite perplexed when this happened.

I'm still not convinced it is a XP / 2000 issue. Are you sure you're opening the same table on both machines? Is it possible you have another copy on one of the pc that is located in a proir path?

Jim Osieczonek
Delta Business Group, LLC

Jim,

I am using SQLServer so I am absolutely positive that I am issuing the select statement against the same table. So I am at a total loss?????

sheronne,

I concur with what the others have said, something else is going on here. Is recpt_messages a view? I ask this because you said the backend is SQL Server and you are accessing it from VFP. Or are you just passing through your SQL statements to SQL Server? Depending on which you are doing or maybe you are doing something else, there could be any number of causes. But I can pretty much guarantee you that Windows 2000 or Windows XP will not cause a field type to change, and I can also guarantee that VFP will not change a field's datatype unless it is told to do it. Either the App isn't the same or the SQL Database/table is not the same, and certainly the field is not the same field since you see two different datatypes. My two cents, just don't want you to be chasing down leads that couldn't possibly be the problem.

Slighthaze = NULL
[sub]craig1442@mchsi.com[/sub][sup]
"Whom computers would destroy, they must first drive mad." - Anon​
[/sup]

By any chance is the field on the server defined as a BigInt? If not what is its field type?

Hit enter too soon.

Also have you checked the MDAC version on the two boxes. Wierd stuff like this is much more likely to be caused by a difference in ODBC / MDAC versions than operating systems.

What is the exact SQL code that is producing different results on the two computers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back