Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win 2000 User Name / Password

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldlady

IS-IT--Management
Jul 3, 2001
US
HELP ME!!!! One of our new salesmen brought in a laptop that is foreign to our normal configs... He wanted me to change some settings so that he could get his email through our service... Don't exactly know how I did it, but no one knows ANY of the user names or passwords to log into Windows.. Is there a way around this or is there a way around this short of re-installing Windows???

HELP!!

Some experienced hackers would find this easy but I am guessing that this is beyond your means, reinstall will retain all data if you don't erase the partition but applications will need to be reinstalled.

Have you tried-

Username: Administrator Password: <blank>

This is very common.

Sorry mate. Win2k is pretty solid. Unless you are a expreienced hacker/cracker your stuck. If there isn't much data on it, i suggest a copy/backup and reinstall. If its on FAT32, try and reinstall Win98/95 if you can. That way you may have a chance of getting to the data.
Steve Hewitt
IT Administrator

Windows 2000 Microsoft Certified System Engineer

if laptop has win2k professional you can download microsoft sysprep and run it, this will allow you to go through setup again and set it the way you would normally do, without having to reinstall any applications or lose their documents.

There's some tools on
Locksmith can get past the password issue..

You may have to PAY (shock horror) for the software though..

Also worth noting that if the file system is FAT or FAT32 you could well get any data off the system, with a WIN9x boot disk

Hope this is of some use....

I was helping a relative install windows 2000 on his computer as an upgrade to windows 98. I got to the point where you set the admin password. and i could swear i typed the password he wanted correctly but when we tried to logon it said the pass was not valid...we tried every letter combination of the password he wanted but nothing will work.

We need to know how to get into the system. He has data and programs that he needs so reinstalling is not an option.
I installed it using fat32 file system....and i have read that if you have a win9x boot disk that you can get access to the ?sam? file that can be deleted. Then the next time you restart it will prompt you to set a new admin pass.

Here is the problem....i have the 98se boot disk......i need help on all of the steps from there on out..
I'm completely helpless at a command prompt so if someone could go step by step what i need to type that would be great.
Thanks in advance.

yeah i tried with caps on and off and every combination of how the password might have been mispelled......hmmmm, lol

since i used fat32 i will try the windows 98 boot disk and try to delete the 3 SAM files and see if it will prompt me to reset the pass when i reboot it.

hopefully i have enough command prompt knowledge to delete the files though, lol

Here it is:

ren c:\winnt\system32\config sam sam.old

copy c:\winnt\repair\SAM c:\winnt\system32\sam

If my memory is true, this is what it should be.

If all else fails, run an UPGRADE reinstall. of 2000

make sure your using the username ADMINISTRATOR and not admin or admnistrater :) and the word 'password' or 'tango' :) hope it helps. %-)

actually, the first command is missing the \ between config and sam

You say, it is a laptop
try typing in the password with NUM-lock on and off

if this fails then have a look in the a prog called ERD-Commander (can be found at nearly all better warez sites)

start up with the created ERD-Disks

type in:
registry
password Administrator 12345

restart the laptop

the new password for the administrator account is now &quot;12345&quot;

Hi I run an internet cafe with 45 workstations all running WIN2000 professional ,I want to booth my computer without entering a password before seeing the desktop How can I do that ?
secondly is it possible to change the Id of a workstation without it affecting the configuration and settings of the entire network?

I would tell you to use a simple bootdisk.

Cia commander bootdisk will allow you to access any ntfs partition before the logon.So you`ll be able to change the password

Hope this helps

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back