Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

win 2000 to 98 downgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

domz76

Technical User
Mar 1, 2002
GB
Hi,

i was wondering if anyone has had any experience in removing windows 2000 and installing win98 in it's place.

FYI, i have a new dell latitude laptop, not sure of the spec yet. A step by step guide or a link to a site to help me would be great!

cheers guys!

Dom

I'm just curious why you would want to remove w2k and use 98. w2k is a heck of a lot more stable than win98.

Format you drive and start again. You can just install Win98 but you system will try to dual-boot and you will find Win2k will not start until you fix the boot partition.

You can't install Win98 over the top to save reinstalling your software, you can only go forwards not backwards. New Zealand, a great place to live.
tokala@orcon.net.nz

dararnagl, wouldn't you want to install 98 then 2000 for a dual boot system, not the other way around? I agree with you, format and start over.

Echoecho, yes you are right (you must install oldest to newest). You can install them in other orders but "let the fun being" with getting them all to run.

But the question was killing Win2k and installing Win98. New Zealand, a great place to live.
tokala@orcon.net.nz

True, and that is what I would do as you suggested.

thanks for you replies, the reason for downgrading is to enable my clients to use use an application that only runs on win98. The reason i was asking about the downgrade, is because i thought that win2k uses a different file strucure NTFS and win98 uses a FAT32, will formatting reset this?

Yes, Win98 uses FAT32, and formatting and reinstalling Win98 will restore FAT32.
Just so you know, W2K can use either NTFS OR FAT32, so if the app you need to run has to use FAT32, you aren't necessarily without a choice.

i see, so does that mean that if Win2k is installed on a FAT32 drive, one can run a win9x application? By the way, is XP installed on a FAT32 also, and if so will the above apply??

Without knowing what app it is, it's hard to say. If the reason the app won't work is because it doesn't operate on NTFS, then you obviously will be able to use it, but there might be another reason why it won't work in W2K...

Lets get to the main point, what is happening when you try and run the app in win2k?

be a little careful. Having a machine (win2000 or otherwise) running on Fat32, means it cant be secured properly on a network, i.e. no NTFS permissions and I believe encryption too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back