Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win 2000 Svr ----> Win 2003 Svr

Status
Not open for further replies.

Badgeroonie

IS-IT--Management
Mar 26, 2003
GB
If I wish to change my W2k domain controller for a Windows 2003 one (or another Windows 2000 one for that matter), is it simply a case of installing the new server to the domain (with AD), remapping the workstations DNS server value, and then removing the old server?

No it's not that simple. If you have more than 1 DC, you have to take into account DC synchronization. Then you have to transfer any FSMO roles that server may have to the new one. Also, transfer the GC role if any.

Ok, I've been doing some reading [smarty]

Can you tell me if this seems ok and/or if there is anything else I need to look into?:

You transfer the FSMO roles with dcpromo it seems, demoting the old server once the new one is up and running with AD. dcpromo will then transfer the FSMO roles to another DC.

The GC is turned on in each server within the MMC for AD Sites & Services, so as long as I have the GC on another server in the AD, the GC will remain intact when I demote the original server from the AD.

Many thanks.

I'm not sure about 2003 but you can't transfer FSMO roles using dcpromo as far as I know. You would have to use the AD Users and Computers snap-in, AD Sites and Services plus install the Adminpak.msi to transfer the Schema master over.

The GC transfer is done through AD Sites and Services like you said. Usually, you wouuld run both servers for a day or two to ensure that they are both fully in synch before demoting the old server.

OK, well the book I have which is for Windows 2003 server, does say that this is done either via dcpromo (the easy way), or using ntdsutil (the hard way).

I must say, it seems to make sense to me - if you demote the DC which has the FSMO roles using dcpromo, then you are removing AD from that server. As the FSMO roles are part of AD, they must migrate to another AD server, else the system would have a serious problem.

I'll do some checking up to see if this holds true for Windows 2000 server.

In your experience, how are FSMO roles transferred in Windows 2000 server?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back