Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win 2000 Server : Load more than one controller driver?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cg123

Technical User
Nov 5, 2003
GB
I have a Compaq Proliant which uses Arcserve 2000 v7 to backup and restore. It contains a Smart Array 5300 RAID controller, is it possible to load the driver for another RAID controller (6402) without physically inserting the controller in the server. I have already tried adding through device manager with no luck.

So far the only option we have is to load the driver once the physical card is in the server and do the backup. I have heard there is a workaround where you can add a key in the registry and insert the driver for the new controller in the drivers folders in the C drive for NT, does anyone know the 2000 workaround?

Thanks in advance for any help.

cg123

I assume this is for some kind of disaster-recovery exercise?

might be worth seeing this article....

looks like it's not as simple as it used to be in NT4.

you *could* also manually add the driver to a w2000 server by exporting the relevant registry keys and .sys driver file(s) from a server that already has that type of card installed, but I suspect this may be more complicated and potentially un-supported by MS/Compaq

Thank you, will check out Microsoft article. Will probably avoid exporting registry keys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back