Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

win 2000 restart looping

Status
Not open for further replies.

hlardieri

MIS
Dec 5, 2003
Hi,

I have a pc running Win2000 Pro and it will keep looping and restarting itself.

I tried running in Safe Mode - does not come up.
Last know confiq - does not work.

I can not get this to stop looping.
I am trying to avoid reinstalling windows.

Any help would be great.

Thanks,
Hope

Hi,

I tried this and it did say it repaired some files however it still loopes and restarts.

Thanks,
Hope

Some history to the problem would be useful - did this just start happening/always been happening? If started, any hardware/software changes/major crashes/viruses before it started?

I was told by the user that his machine was running slow so he closed all the programs and did a restart, from then it has been looping.

I have the same problem with a few computers of 4000. The computer just start looping after start up.
The problem always shows up on Wen or Thursday and we have upgrade running from the SUS server on Wen noon.

When this happened, all the computers was uppgraded to SP4. The user told me they forced the computer to shutdown when uppgrade was running, just because they where leaving for home.
So my problem seems to be that the upgrade tp SP4 was interuppted.

If a chdsk/r and a registry rollback fail to stop the perpetual rolling reboot, an in-place upgrade is your only weapon. You will not lose your data or installed software.

This will revert your hotfixes and service packs, so these will need to be reapplied, but I really see no choice in the absence of any specific stop or error messages.

Ok try enable boot logging that seems to work sometimes rather than safemode.

I did try boot logging did not work.
over the weekend I did some research and I think
the machine has a virus.

Just an update.

I used the win 2000 cd and did an over the top installation.
Which let me keep existing programs & settings.

now that you have re-installed r u sure ur programs will work. Ull probably need to re-install them to.

An in-place upgrade will leave his programs and data intact. Hotfixes and Service Packs will need to be re-applied, however.

It did leave my programs intact, however I did have to reinstall/repair Outlook & the printer.

I've had this experience when the wrong version of hal.dll was being used. Check the date/version of hal.dll and switch out with a different one. No worries, if it doesn't work simply switch it back. (Has something to do with ACPI though I don't remember exactly what.)

I can email a few different versions if you need it.

Well if u do not have an updated Bios with ACPI this could also cause problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back