Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win 2000 Professional Password problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

stdcrb17

Technical User
Jan 5, 2002
US
The password for my dial-up and email keeps changingto an incorrect password. I enter the correct password for the email in the accounts section of Outlook and I do the same for my dial-up under the properties for my connection. When I click on either one the password has 8 more characters in it. How do I set it so my password will be in the password box correctly? I have tried recreateing the connection and it changes it again.

In W2K and the settings for DNS there is a check box to append DNS suffix. This is what is causing the extra characters. You should not have to worry about it. Dont change it and hit enter and it should log you on.

You must understand that in Win2k the amount of stars that you see are not in the same amount has your password caracters ... or else this would be a security breach.

This will not cause anny problem what so ever.

If your computer has trouble remembering the pass ...
you can remove all the *.PWL files and reboot !!
and this should fix it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back