Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

win 2000 pr startup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amdboy

Technical User
Jun 26, 2003
AU
okay i just installed a logiteck wireless keyboard and mouse (software)on my dual boot sys (pro/serv) had a prob decided to uninstall using remove programs...now i cant log back in to win keyboard works in dos mode and in cmos but once windows starts loading keyboard frezes (have tried standard keyboard no diff) im suspecting a kernal err or a ldr file is corrupt Any clues?..
Cheers

Try booting up in "Safe Mode" and see if you are able to login. If you are able to get through, then uninistall the software and restart your computer w/o installing it again. After restarting, try to boot up normally, then try to install the software again. If safe mode doesn't work, try booting up as "Last Known Good Configuration."
If none of these work, let me know and I'll find other solutions.

Whatever you do, be nice to to people who helps you or try their best to make things better for you.

had tried last known good...then safe niether of them proved successful thanx any way i can acces all the files by boting up in server so perhaps i can do something from there?

You could be right, but maybe other files are corrupted or is missing for the Windows to load properly, meaning that the registry is trying to load some files which were removed when you uninstalled the software. Try deleting some of the keys from the regedit file.
You will need to search for the name of the software or any other file names that you know that was part of the installation. When you search for it, delete every single values (Keys, Binaries, Strings, and DWORDS) that are related to the software. After clearing up everything, restart your computer and see if it works.

Also, can you let me know what O/S you are using just to make it easier for me to find out a solution if this fail too.

Whatever you do, be nice to to people who helps you or try their best to make things better for you.

okay cheers will try that...problem lies in winn 2000 pro
am using win 2000 server at the moment should i use regedit or regedt32....

regedit
Is you server directory located on the same drive as your prof though? If not it may not work.

same drive different partitions removing regkeys at moment
if this doesnt work what wil bee likely to happen will i looose ability to logon completly?...will i be looking at a reinstall

Not reinstall everything, but just the system files, cuz that is what is basically causing the problem. This will just make you reinstall the drivers for your v-card, sound, nic, Service Packs, etc. You do not have to worry about your programs :). I am assuming that you know how to reinstall the sys files. If not, Let me know.

okay all done finall had some major filee corruption in Fil allocation tables but managed to sort it out.... cheers thanx for your help

l3reacher
can u pls tell me how can i reinstall my sys files.?
tks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back