Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win 2000 Password 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

handers

Technical User
Jan 16, 2003
US
My brother called me last night and said he can't get into Windows 2000 Pro. When he puts in his password,"dont try", it says its an invalid password. Is there anyway that we can bypass the password or edit the password? any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank You

Is his account the only one set up? If you have an administrator account, log on with that and change his password.
Piece of advise with W2K, always create a seperate user account and use that one. That way you have the adnin account to fall back on.
Keith8266

The password "don't try" actually IS an invalid password. You normally cannot have spaces in passwords, which makes me wonder if he's remembering it correctly.

If he's sure that's it, have him try "don't_try", sometimes Windows substitutes the underscore in place of a space...

I was also wondering about the space thing, are you sure it isnt just "donttry" ?

I just installed Windows 2000 as an upgrade on a laptop. The system reverted to a 7 year old password and I cannot get into the system. Any ideas? How do you uninstall 2000?

Just out of curiosity how do you know it "reverted to a 7 year old password"?

Curious I inherrited a laptop from a friend who died.
There was no password and access was ok. suddenly It now requires a password.
What is default administrator password. 2000 pro seems to have a mind of its own. Any offers

By default there is no password. Try administrator as the username and leave the password field blank

I tried to go to that site and got an error......is there another way to get that crack?

friend can you still remember your user name and password you input during the installation of the win2k pro... if not try to format your laptop using win98 os format.com command syntax is cd_rom drive:\format c: /c /s /u
then after the format boot under dos command and install win2k pro again then take down the user name and password that you will supply to your PC ..... ok

Just a quick note to let everyone know that You guys helped me out of a spot. I thank you, & my brother thanks you. Keep up the great work guys [2thumbsup]

Hey guys...

My win. 2000 Professional password expired TOMORROW!!! I did NOT set a password on this system. The person who reformatted and installed Win 2000 Pro. says he didn't use a pw either. Please help. It will not let me type a new password without the old one.

AND How can I set this to never come up again?

Tech Tips is great, any help/suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Andante

I would recemend the crack to get around unknown passwords however makeing the Cd insted of bootdisk the cd has scsi drives that come in handy on servers or scsi hard drives.
the option to have a password never expire is under:
start
settings
control pannel
administrative tools
computer managment
local users and groups
users
dubble click on you username and check password never expires.
the other option is on administrative tools
click
Local Security Policy
accunt Policy

password Policy
set maxuam age to 0

gosemer,

the crack to get around unknown passwords??
After I get this info, then I can perform the never expire thingy right?

Thanks Again.
Andante

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back