Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win 2000 Boot Failure with IBM HD's 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

mwittmd

Technical User
Sep 4, 2001
US
Help!

I have just assembled an Athlon 1.33 266MHz system with a Gigabyte GA-7DXR mobo (that has Promise RAID ATA100 capabilities) and two IBM Deskstar 60GXP 40GB hard drives configured as RAID 0 (striped). Using fdisk and format, I have managed to partition the 'drive' into one 80GB drive and format it without complication. I then load Win 2000 off the CD, adding the Promise drivers in the setup (by pushing F6), and let the installation continue. The problem occurs when it asks to reboot => the computer reboots but will not boot off the HD. If you boot off a floppy, you can read the data on the HD. What is that?

Gigabyte emailed me that this is a known problem with IBM 40GB drives, and I need a firmware update from them. I cannot find this update on IBM's site, and IBM has not answered my e-mail yet.

What is happening? I need help, 'cause now all I have is a heavy and expensive paperweight!!! s-)

I have an A7V133 MB with an Athlon 850 MHz processor running Win 2000.
I have Fasttrak 100 raid with 2 40GB Maxtor IDE drives using the onboard Promise Raid controller

When I was running some DVD to VCD conversion using flask, my machine stopped responding and on a cold boot, I got the INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE problem. Now I cannot access my disks using Win 2000 setup disks. Lots of important data.

Also, any suggestions on how to back up the raid image using ghost. What version of Ghost supports Raid. How does Ghost talk to the raid without the Fasttrak raid drivers.

Thanks a lot for any help.

The best and fastest backup is Powerquest's Drive Copy. Needs 2 diskettes and an extra hard disk in a removable tray (or more if you want a generation backup).
Yhis way I backup with 800 - 1000 MB / minute !! On my 2 * 40 GB raid system I have 30 GB occupied, and backupping lasts about 35 minutes.
If you need data-recovery for this disk : .

Now about my previous reply: my dealer changed the motherboard [Gigabyte 7VAXP motherboard with an Athlon2000XP] after a month of disastrous problems, for a totally different one (Gigbayte 8PE667 (845PE) Ultra with an Intel P4 2400, and maybe most of all: new DDR and new power system]......... and now I'm troublefree ... :>) !!

Powerquest's Drive Copy is a good tool for backing up basic disks but not dynamic disks. You need Powerquest's V2i Protector. Since I have a striped RAID, I want to be able to write the image onto one of the RAID partitions.

V2i Protector comes with a desktop only (single license) version and costs about 79 bucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back