Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win 2000 and RIS box

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zelandakh

MIS
Mar 12, 1999
GB
Big roll out coming. Fancy using RIS.

Got a load of W2K Pro clients to go out and they will all be the same (honest).

Got a box for my RIS and have Windows 2000 Server on it.

Q: Do I really need AD running? I'm currently running an NT network with Exchange 5.5 and don't have any 2000 domain controllers. DNS is on NT4 so that's another nail in the coffin. DHCP is also on NT4.

Don't want to create a separate domain if at all possible. Needs to be on the same LAN physically to do all of the testing and installation.

Anyone good with RIS?

Yes you need AD,DHCP, & DNS. You can load all on one beefy machine, configure it as its own domain separate from your network and put your RIS images on that.

If you can't do that, you may want to consider GHOST enterprise. Or network install which is included in NT 4.0.

Are you migrating to W2k from other OS? Or just rolling out new hardware?

Either way use Altiris. You don't need the "beefy machine" although it helps, nor do you need AD running.

You can also migrate individual user settings like, say printer drivers and settings from one PC to another. Ghost can't do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back